Author Topic: How do I trace a 1923 divorce?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do I trace a 1923 divorce?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 September 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for the help everyone,

RTL the newspaper is dated Fri 13 Jul 1923.

Boo, I managed to get down there a few months ago for the first time (1st time in London for about 15 years), so I have a current readers card. Since my last visit I've found a war diary I want to get a copy of so we are hoping to go there again in the new year.

Bookbox, I didn't know that, I think I'll hang on until I can hopefully get down there again.

JenB, thanks a lot for that.

George is the father of a lady I met with recently because of a mutual WW1 relative. She told me she didn't know who her Grandfather was because her Grandmother refused to talk about him saying he'd run off and left her. This newspaper article I've found puts a slightly different spin on the story but I want to make sure my facts are correct before I tell her the story she's been told for the past 40 odd years isn't quite accurate.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 September 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know the newspaper date.  I was in the library when I saw your post so checked the Evening Chronicle to see if there might be more.

Unfortunately, unless I have missed something I couldn't see any mention of the divorce in that paper. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 30 September 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for looking. Interesting thing I've noticed though, the newspaper story I've found is in 1923 and reads as if it's happening then however the link Boo posted to the NA record has a date of 1921 on it.

I'm not sure what that means but I'm sure I'll find out.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 30 September 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
Perhaps its the time frame to go from a decree nisi being granted to the grant of a decree absolute?
Just guessing, don't know a great deal about divorce (then or now), but I think back then it was a fairly long and drawn out process.

Though me n him have only been wed for 43 years so you never know if things are going to last :-) I reserve the right to change my mind  ;D

Boo