Author Topic: John Gall Athenstaneford  (Read 1358 times)

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Gall Athenstaneford
« on: Sunday 30 September 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
John Gall was the son of William Gall and Katherine Smith of Athelstaneford. He was born in 1754 and possibly had siblings Joseph, Francis, Magdalena and Alexander. His wife was called Ann but, apart from date of birth taken from death record Doddington Northumberland in 1833 age 79, I can find nothing on baptism or marriage to suggest her surname before marriage.
Is there any way to find this information ?
Any suggestions on tracing this information would be gratefully received.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Gall Athenstaneford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 October 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
Sadly I cannot find a marriage for John & Ann but the following information may help others.

When Ann died in Doddington her abode was Dove Cot Mains,Coldstream Parish,Scotland (Freereg)
A John Gull also died in Doddington the year before, burial 21 Sep 1832, abode as above. He was 48. I assume their son?
Also Isabella Gall daughter of John, she was age 7 burial 6 Aug 1819, abode Doddington, noted as 1st daughter.

Baptisms United Presbyterian,Spittal,Northumberland – Parents John & Ann
Margaret Gall 3 Sep 1780 born 16 Aug 1780
John Gall 4 Jun 1784 born 27 May 1784

Then Baptism Tweedmouth, Northumberland parents John & Ann
Ann Gall 27 May 1788
William Gall 29 Aug 1790
Ann Gall 16 Jun 1793

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 October 18 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you Colin for the feedback.  Much appreciated .
I had managed to trace the births and baptisms of John Gall and sister Margaret
The birth of John Gall is entered on a Family bible as 27 May 1787 ( which checks with your record) and gives wife as Elizabeth ...Gall (sadly does not give her maiden name either) but has dob July 29th 1782 plus dates of birth of all their children. She was apparently born in Bradford, near Bamburgh.

The parent John Gall is thought to be born in Athelstaneford in 1754. I am not quite sure how the family made this link but it does seem a critical one (apart from the issue of tracing maiden name of Ann, his wife). If this is indeed John Gall born Athelstaneford in 1754, then the parents do look to be William Gall and Katherine Smith of Athelstaneford.

Can anyone suggest whether we are correct in linking the parent of John Gall baptised in Spittal as John Gall born in Athelstaneford in 1754 ?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
William GALL, Servant, married Katherine SMITH (Smyth) 19 Oct 1746
Edinburgh: The Parish Church Unspecified Midlothian

Children as noted East Lothian 1751 – 1759
Francis, Joseph, John, Magdalena and Alexander.

As far as I can see there are no marriages in the Lothian’s or South East of Scotland for any of the above except the following for John Gall married MAXWELL /MURRAY (I assume no first name)?
On SP 7/03/1773 Edinburgh, could this be Ann I wonder. No children in Midlothian?

Regarding John Junior:

“John Gall is entered on a Family bible as 27 May 1787” The year on record was 1784?

No marriage for John junior & Elizabeth.

As I mentioned Isabella Gall daughter of John, she was age 7 burial 6 Aug 1819, abode Doddington, noted as 1st daughter. Therefore born about 1812

Also on A….y Baptisms at United Presbyterian Cheviot Street-NC, Wooler, Northumberland.

Ann Gall 31 Mar 1814 - 8 Apr 1814
William Gall 23 Apr 1816  - 1 May 1816
John Gall 17 Sep 1818 - 23 Sep 1818
Isabella Gall born 3 Nov 1820 Doddington 15 Nov 1820
Thomas Gall born 17 Apr 1823 Doddington 25 Apr 1823

When John & Elizabeth's daughter was baptised 27 Nov 1825 in Doddington John was noted as Husbandman. (Freereg), also noted on A….y.

Hope some of this may help.

Good Luck Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.