Author Topic: Help needed to identify old house in Rayne - ? Old Mill, Blackford?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed to identify old house in Rayne - ? Old Mill, Blackford?
« on: Monday 01 October 18 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have an old photo of a house.  It is very poor quality as is taken from a photocopy.  There are 2 possible identities for the house - one, Lagganvoulin near Tomintoul, or secondly, at or near "Old Mill, Blackford, Rayne, Aberdeenshire.

A family of Munro's lived in this house, but they lived at both of the above addresses. 
Any help to eliminate the Rayne option would be gratefully received.

I think the photo is taken between around the turn of the century i.e. late 1800's or early 1900's
Rowanali

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to identify old house in Rayne - ? Old Mill, Blackford?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
The second one looks promising...although there looks to be an extension added to the right...the roof windows look similar.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:14 BST (UK) »
This is a better photo of it here:

https://www.lagganvoulin.co.uk/

Carol

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
Yes, indeed the second option (Lagganvoulin) is where this trail began.  We own the property and have been researching its families back to 1740 (albeit an earlier version of the house/s).  The photo is actually labelled 'Lagganvoulin' but the topography of the land isn't quite right (even allowing for the trees not being there 100 years ago), and the chimney stacks are the opposite way around - Lagganvoulin has a double chimney to the left of front door, whilst the photo has its double chimney to the right.

I am hoping it is Lagganvoulin, but the person who labelled the photos would never have been there, and grew up hearing about Lagganvoulin (long family history with the house).  However, by the age of photos of the ancestors who lived in it, I think the family had by then moved to Rayne.

Was hoping someone in Rayne could perhaps shed light. 

Thanks for the link to the other photo - that is definitely worth a drive by to check it out, or perhaps I will drop the photo in the post to them!

Thanks,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:16 BST (UK) »
Well found, Carol,  Lagganvoulin

They do a very good single malt  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:56 BST (UK) »
If you mean Lagavulin, that isn't from Tomintoul. It's an Islay malt.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:58 BST (UK) »
The topography of the old photo doesn't look quite right for a mill either - mills are usually down beside the watercourse that drove them, rather than on higher ground.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 October 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
If you mean Lagavulin, that isn't from Tomintoul. It's an Islay malt.

Oh - thanks. I'm getting my Speysides and Island malts mixed up  ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***