Author Topic: Names in Will of Joan Rayner  (Read 465 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Names in Will of Joan Rayner
« on: Monday 01 October 18 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is anyone here able to help me work out the names and relationships of the people mentioned in this extract from the Will of Joan Rayner?

It looks like she says "I give bequeath to John Sybbllye Sybble my daughter's son" followed by

"I bequeath to Bennet George Barling my daughter's son"

"Johanne Batchelor my daughter's daughter"

"Bennett Sybly my daughter's daughter"

Lastly it looks like she mentions "Henry Knocke my daughter's son" [it might also be Knorke].

I haven't found any marriages that would fit these yet and so I am not sure if I've got the names correct.

Can help confirm these names or the spelling of them, or identify any possible Rayner (or Rainer) marriages that might fit these? The name Rayner has also being misspelt as "Bayner" on a few occasions.

Thanks
Matt

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Names in Will of Joan Rayner
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 00:49 BST (UK) »
I think you have all the relationships correct Matt.

It look as if the first 'Sybblye' of 'John (Sybblye) Syblye' is crossed out. Perhaps the scribe decided he had spelt it incorrectly.
The 'Bennet' in 'Bennet George Barlinge' also looks to be crossed out.

Perhaps the testator got mixed up with the children of the daughter who had married Mr Barlinge, and the children of the daughter who had married Mr Syblye. Bennet is the daughter of Mr Syblye and wife, whereas George (initially 'Bennet' was the son of Mr BArlinge and wife. (or the scribe made notes and then wrote it up later........)

There looks to be another daughter who married Mr Batchyler, with daughter Joanne.

I think you're right with 'Henry Knocke' - what looks like an 'r' is the typical 'c' in this writing.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 12:31 BST (UK) »
I think you have all the relationships correct Matt.

It look as if the first 'Sybblye' of 'John (Sybblye) Syblye' is crossed out. Perhaps the scribe decided he had spelt it incorrectly.
The 'Bennet' in 'Bennet George Barlinge' also looks to be crossed out.

Perhaps the testator got mixed up with the children of the daughter who had married Mr Barlinge, and the children of the daughter who had married Mr Syblye. Bennet is the daughter of Mr Syblye and wife, whereas George (initially 'Bennet' was the son of Mr BArlinge and wife. (or the scribe made notes and then wrote it up later........)

There looks to be another daughter who married Mr Batchyler, with daughter Joanne.

I think you're right with 'Henry Knocke' - what looks like an 'r' is the typical 'c' in this writing.

Hi there

Thanks for confirming those names for me. I though I had them correct but when I read it a second time I wasn't sure. A second pair of eyes always helps as they say.

I believe I have found the Batchyler marriage now - Jane Rayner married Jonas Bachelar in Egerton on 8 November 156.

Not found the Barlinge or Bennett marriages yet though.

As Joan is a widow here I'm not yet sure who her husband was, but I do have some other earlier Rayner/Rainer Wills where the name of the wife is not given and I'm sure I've seen either he Bennett or the Batchelor name in one of them. Hopefully I can fit it together.

No idea who Henry Knocke was though lol!

Thanks again

Matt

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 15:38 BST (UK) »
Not found the Barlinge or Bennett marriages yet though.

I think that name is more likely to be Barkinge.

The l joins following letters from the bottom whereas the k has a flat foot.

Although somewhat blotted, this letter has a flat foot.