Author Topic: Will of Roger Aylmer 1497  (Read 6777 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Roger Aylmer 1497
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 06 October 18 00:03 BST (UK) »
Snippet 9

... Cloos conteynyng be estimaceon vj Acr(es) abbuttyng upon ye comon weye

called multon weye in Tytleshale to holde to ye same John And to ye

heyr(es) of hys body lawfully begoton under ye condic(i)on yt he forw(i)t(h) aft(er)

m(e)y decesse by hys dede of Releas sufficient in ye lawe w(i)t(h) hys sealle

insealed relesse all hys right and tytill yt he hathe or may have

in all ye lond(es) and ten(emen)t(es) which I solde to ye owners of ye same lond(es)

in harliston and to yer heyr(es) & assignes for ev(er)mor(e) whan soev(er) he ...

=====

Tittleshall
Harleston
yer = their

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 06 October 18 00:10 BST (UK) »
Snippet 10

... therto be required be m(e)y executor(es) And und(er) yis condic(i)on yt he and hys

heyres for ye seid cloos pyghtell wode and cloos in tytteleshale be-

forseid paye yerly to Thomas Aylem(er) hys Brother and hys heyres

vj s viij d of yerly rent forev(er)more orellys discharge ye same Thom(a)s

and hys heyres for ev(er)mor(e) as vj s viij d of yerly Rent yerly payable

to ye cheyf lordys of ye fee for such other lond(es) & ten(amen)t(es) which I have

in Tytteleshale ye which I have assigned to ye same ^Thom(a)s hys^ heyr(es) and assignes

be yis my last wyll And yf ye seid John Deye w(i)t(h)oute heyr(e) of hys body

lawfully comying or yf he wyll nat relesse as is beforseid or ell yf he

wyll nat paye & discharge ye seid Rent of vj s viij d as is beforseid yan

I wull yt ye seid cloos cleped Westfeld w(i)t(h) ye seid pyghtell and wode lying

be Batemanysyerd(es) And ye seide cloos conteynyng vj Acr(es) by estimac(i)on ...

=====

orellys = or else
Deye = die
wyll nat relesse = will not release
yan = than (= then)
cleped = called

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 06 October 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Bookbox!!! :) :D :) This was utterly amazing!!!

called multon weye in Tytleshale to holde to ye same John And to ye heyr(es) of hys body lawfully begoton

So John Aylmer was left land in Tivetshall? :) The very same Tivetshall that Bishop John Aylmer is said to have come from? The same Bishop John Aylmer whose father is said to have been a John Aylmer?

Now that is very interesting indeed! :) :) :)

Thomas Aylem(er) hys Brother and hys heyres vj s viij d of yerly rent forev(er)more orellys discharge ye same Thom(a)s and hys heyres for ev(er)mor(e) as vj s viij d of yerly Rent yerly payable to ye cheyf lordys of ye fee for such other lond(es) & ten(amen)t(es) which I have in Tytteleshale ye which I have assigned to ye same ^Thom(a)s hys^ heyr(es) and assignes

If I am understanding the above quote correctly, he also left some land in Tivetshall to John's brother Thomas, which is the land in Tivetshall that was later left to Alexander Aylmer.

I meant to comment on the below in my last post, but I forgot :)

Robt Aylemer m(e)y sone to holde  to hym for terme of hys lyfe w(i)t(h)out impechement of Waste And yf it happen the seid Robt do gete any Issue male in lawfulle matrimony aft my decesse than I wull that all m(e) seid landes & ten(emen)tes w(i)t(h) thapp(er)ten(a)ntes in the seid towne of Suff aft the decesse of the seid Robt remayne to the said Issue male And to the eyres male of hys body lawfully ^begoton^ And for the defawte of suche Issue male I wull

It is very strange that we know that Robert did in fact get a son ... I guess we know also now know for that Alexander was born after 1497 :)

which I solde to ye owners of ye same lond(es) in harliston

Batemanysyerd(es)

Searching for Bateman's Yard (without much hope) I got this from a website - I doubt they would mind that I quoted them, since they are a commercial enterprise and I am essentially doing their advertising for them, lololol *g*

Bateman’s Barn in the Waveney Valley
a curious Suffolk wedding barn venue
A very special collection of real places to celebrate
within the embrace of a medieval moat.
An intimate, historic, relaxed & rural wedding setting
where all couples are always welcome.

MEDIEVAL BARN & SECRET GARDEN
FOR INDOOR & OUTDOOR CEREMONIES & CELEBRATIONS

COURTYARD MARQUEE ▪ STABLES BAR
FIRE PIT ▪ ROMANTIC GATEHOUSE RUINS
ANCIENT GROVE & GARDENS ▪ TERRACE & LAWNS
WOODLAND & WILDFLOWER MEADOW LANDSCAPES
Plus a handful of simply elegant bedrooms
in Grade I listed South Elmham Hall, formerly a bishops' palace.

UP TO 120 GUESTS SEATED - UP TO 170 EVENING GUESTS
YOUR CHOICE OF CATERERS ▪ LIVE BANDS & DISCO

Venue hire fee from £3,300

Bateman’s Barn South Elmham
SUFFOLK WEDDING BARN VENUE
exceptional, flexible, curious, simple & elegant
A timeless island for your dreams.
Just for you.
To share with the ones you love, your own way.

All together just the way you want things to be.
Hedging its bets in the quiet, rural and truly ancient borderland area between Bungay & Harleston, Bateman's Barn is curiously both a Suffolk and Norfolk wedding barn venue. You'll find it tucked away on an island by a shady, timeless grove of trees on a conservation-conscious, organic farm. There's everything you need for your indoor or outdoor wedding ceremony & celebrations with our experienced & knowledgeable family team at your service. It’s just perfect, whatever the weather & it is yours to make your own.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 06 October 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
“the warmth & sheer homeliness of it all made it the perfect venue…”

Bateman’s Barn South Elmham dates from 1270. Now a relaxed and homely Suffolk wedding barn venue with lots of natural light, oak flooring, lime washed wattle daub walls and ancient oak beams. This beautiful flint, brick and timber barn has been carefully restored by its organic farming owners, Nicole and John Sanderson, for future generations to enjoy.

Medieval Bateman’s Barn is licenced for wedding ceremonies and our Secret Garden and ancient grove of trees are just two of the outdoor spots on our historic ‘island’ which are also very popular for outdoor country wedding ceremonies. We have also opened up our home, Grade I listed South Elmham Hall, to provide a relaxed, convenient and comfortable B&B for couples and their wedding guests.

Surrounding the wedding barn are a romantic ruined gatehouse, plus two acres of secluded gardens and woodland and lawns - ideal for garden games, fireworks and our primeval fire pit. There’s also sunny terrace and wildflower meadows - all make amazing locations for outdoor ceremonies and stunning backdrops for those all-important photographs.

http://www.batemansbarnweddings.co.uk/

As we remember, Bishop Ailmer in 1070 was Bishop of Elmham :) You ... literally cannot make this stuff up! This I thought was absolutely incredible :) :D :)

Also, since we know that it was the fashion of the times to name children after your siblings it is not without the realm of possibility that Roger's son John Aylmer could have had a son Edmund, named after his brother, who our Bishop John Aylmer then named his son after ...

And since Roger's son John Aylmer also had a brother named Robert, it is not without the realm of possibility that he could aslo have had a son named Robert, who could be the Sir Robert Aylmer of Aylmer-hall that crops up in the book of Dr. Fuller ...

I am starting to regret expressing my doubts regarding the veracity of their existence in the other thread, since it seems as if I might have to eat my words, lololol.

Thank you so much again, Bookbox!!! :) :D :) You're an absolute star!!! :) :-* :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 07 October 18 00:04 BST (UK) »
Thomas Aylem(er) hys Brother and hys heyres vj s viij d of yerly rent forev(er)more orellys discharge ye same Thom(a)s and hys heyres for ev(er)mor(e) as vj s viij d of yerly Rent yerly payable to ye cheyf lordys of ye fee for such other lond(es) & ten(amen)t(es) which I have in Tytteleshale ye which I have assigned to ye same ^Thom(a)s hys^ heyr(es) and assignes

If I am understanding the above quote correctly, he also left some land in Tivetshall to John's brother Thomas, which is the land in Tivetshall that was later left to Alexander Aylmer.

In general, that is how I would understand it, but I'm afraid I haven't been following the bequests closely enough to know whether it is exactly the same piece of land that was passed on to Alexander.

Robt Aylemer m(e)y sone to holde  to hym for terme of hys lyfe w(i)t(h)out impechement of Waste And yf it happen the seid Robt do gete any Issue male in lawfulle matrimony aft my decesse than I wull that all m(e) seid landes & ten(emen)tes w(i)t(h) thapp(er)ten(a)ntes in the seid towne of Suff aft the decesse of the seid Robt remayne to the said Issue male And to the eyres male of hys body lawfully ^begoton^ And for the defawte of suche Issue male I wull

It is very strange that we know that Robert did in fact get a son ... I guess we know also now know for that Alexander was born after 1497 :)

I think it would be safer to say born after 1492, when the will was written, rather than 1497, when it was proved.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 07 October 18 07:38 BST (UK) »
Snippet #11 (all I have time for at the moment):

...in Tytleshale forseid remayne to elyse m(e)y dowght(er) wyfe of ye seid

Thom(a)s Brampton and to ye heyres of hir body lawfully begoten And

for defawte  of suche Issue of hyr body laufully begoten ye seid cloos

called westfeld w(i)t(h) ye seid pyghtell & wode lying by Bateman(n)ysyerdes and

ye seid cloos conteyny(n)g vj Acr(es) in Tytleshale forseid remayne to ye ryght

heyres of ye seide elyse in ffee sympyll for ev(er)more It(e)m I wyll yt ye

seid Thomas Aylem(er) m(e)y soon have all m(e)y od(er) londes & tenementes in

Tytleshale beforeseid to hold to hym hys heyres and assignes forev(er)more

he paying to John Cook of Norwich draper or to hys executores ye xxij

li yt I owe hym for ye place yt I dwell in in Norwich at Suche dayes

as I ^am^ charged to ye seid John Cook for ye seid xxij li yt(e)m I wull yt ye

same londes & tenementes be sold be m(e)y executores and ye mony therof...

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 07 October 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
Snippet #12

... comyng disposed to ye helthe of m(e)y sowle  It(e)m I wull yt aft(er) yt m(e)y seid

place in Norwich in saint stephyn parysshe in ye which I dwelle wyth

thapp(ur)tennces be sold be m(e)y executor(is) be good advise and helpe of

Thomas Bokenh(a)m Alderman of Norwich  It(e)m I wull yt ye Wardeyn

and Covent of ye ffryer minors in Norwich have ye viij li which

I have assigned byfor(e) by this m(e)y p(re)sent wyll as it may growe of

ye sale of ye same place  And I beqweth(e) to Anne m(e)y dowghter x m(a)rc(is)

or x li of ye sale of ye same place yf it may be borne  And ye re-

men(a)nt of ye mony comying of ye sale of ye same place I wull it be ...

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 07 October 18 13:30 BST (UK) »

In general, that is how I would understand it, but I'm afraid I haven't been following the bequests closely enough to know whether it is exactly the same piece of land that was passed on to Alexander.

Alright, thanks :) We of course now also have the below quote from HD's transcription of snippet 11:

I wyll yt ye seid Thomas Aylem(er) m(e)y soon have all m(e)y od(er) londes & tenementes in Tytleshale beforeseid to hold to hym hys heyres and assignes forev(er)more

This is the exact quote from Alexander Aylmer's will of 1549 I was thinking about:

Itm I wull that Anne my wyff shall have all my landes and Ten(emen)ts lying in Tyvetshale Saint Margaret in the cowntie of Norff - called Intwoode Batemans and pullents close with all the landes woodes pastures wayes medowes pathes waters com(m)ons and fedinges as before is reputed as p(ar)cell of the same with thappurtenaces To have and to houlde to her duringw her naturall lyff according as she is insured in by the lawe for her joynter And after hir decease then I woll yt shall remayn unto will(ia)m my son(n)e and heyre accordinge to my Uncle Thomas Aylemers wyll.

It is of course almost impossible to state outright that this is exactly the same piece of land, but we are certainly circling around Tivetshall St. Margaret! :)

I think it would be safer to say born after 1492, when the will was written, rather than 1497, when it was proved.

That is an excellent, excellent point :) ;D :) Thank you so much, Bookbox :) :D :)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 07 October 18 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, HD and Bookbox!!! :) :D :) Wonderful work as always! Getting anywhere with this family would have been utterly impossible without you! :) :-* :)

Snippet #11 (all I have time for at the moment):

...in Tytleshale forseid remayne to elyse m(e)y dowght(er) wyfe of ye seid

Thom(a)s Brampton and to ye heyres of hir body lawfully begoten And

for defawte  of suche Issue of hyr body laufully begoten ye seid cloos

called westfeld w(i)t(h) ye seid pyghtell & wode lying by Bateman(n)ysyerdes and

ye seid cloos conteyny(n)g vj Acr(es) in Tytleshale forseid remayne to ye ryght

heyres of ye seide elyse in ffee sympyll for ev(er)more It(e)m I wyll yt ye

seid Thomas Aylem(er) m(e)y soon have all m(e)y od(er) londes & tenementes in

Tytleshale beforeseid to hold to hym hys heyres and assignes forev(er)more

he paying to John Cook of Norwich draper or to hys executores ye xxij

li yt I owe hym for ye place yt I dwell in in Norwich at Suche dayes

as I ^am^ charged to ye seid John Cook for ye seid xxij li yt(e)m I wull yt ye

same londes & tenementes be sold be m(e)y executores and ye mony therof...

Is it possible elyse could be olyve?

More pyghtell :) I love that word! And Thomas Aylmer was definitely left property in Tivetshall! :) :D :) As I speculate upthread, I think this could be the same land Thomas Aylmer left his nephew Alexander and which is mentioned in Alexander Aylmer's will of 1549, 57 years later:

Itm I wull that Anne my wyff shall have all my landes and Ten(emen)ts lying in Tyvetshale Saint Margaret in the cowntie of Norff - called Intwoode Batemans and pullents close with all the landes woodes pastures wayes medowes pathes waters com(m)ons and fedinges as before is reputed as p(ar)cell of the same with thappurtenaces To have and to houlde to her duringw her naturall lyff according as she is insured in by the lawe for her joynter And after hir decease then I woll yt shall remayn unto will(ia)m my son(n)e and heyre accordinge to my Uncle Thomas Aylemers wyll.

The phrasing makes it seem as if it were a little entailed (if one might phrase it like that!) to Alexander's son William after Alexander :)

Snippet #12

... comyng disposed to ye helthe of m(e)y sowle  It(e)m I wull yt aft(er) yt m(e)y seid

place in Norwich in saint stephyn parysshe in ye which I dwelle wyth

thapp(ur)tennces be sold be m(e)y executor(is) be good advise and helpe of

Thomas Bokenh(a)m Alderman of Norwich  It(e)m I wull yt ye Wardeyn

and Covent of ye ffryer minors in Norwich have ye viij li which

I have assigned byfor(e) by this m(e)y p(re)sent wyll as it may growe of

ye sale of ye same place  And I beqweth(e) to Anne m(e)y dowghter x m(a)rc(is)

or x li of ye sale of ye same place yf it may be borne  And ye re-

men(a)nt of ye mony comying of ye sale of ye same place I wull it be ...

St Stephen's Church in Norwich
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Stephen%27s_Church,_Norwich

Brass of Thomas Bokenham (d.1460) with mention of his son, also called Thomas Bokenham, who was alderman and progressed to be mayor
http://www.mbs-brasses.co.uk/brass%20of%20the%20month%20february%202013.html

The Friars Minor of Norwich - List of All the Different Friaries at Norwich - There Were A Lot
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/norf/vol2/pp428-433

And of course he has a daughter Anne that he has not mentioned before ... Of course he has ::) I cannot find anything else about this Anne, as of yet, except of course that Edmund's daughter, Frances Aylmer the Elder's sister Anne, might have been named for her, her aunt :)

Thank you so much, HD and Bookbox!!! :) :D :) I am really having so much fun with this, and I am so grateful for your help!!! :) :-* :)