Author Topic: Martha Brewster or Brouster or Browster  (Read 685 times)

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martha Brewster or Brouster or Browster
« on: Monday 01 October 18 23:51 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find records on a Martha Brouster, born to a Mary Brouster, nee Girty, about 1781. Mary and her two children (Margaret and Simon) were travelling from  Pennsylvania to Detroit Michigan around 1775-1779 and were taken captive by Indians, Husband Joseph was murdered. Mary and the children were eventually "sold" to the British in Canada? and eventually settled, now with three children, in Sorel in Quebec Province. The extra child was Martha Brouster who subsequently married a William Summers in St Andrews church in Quebec City, 31st Dec 1803. It seems obvious that Martha was not fathered by Mary's husband Joseph. Can anybody shed light on this period? Martha might have had a son, also called William, calculated dob 1804 +/-. I cannot find any record of this although family papers mention it. Again can anybody shed light on this? From the time of Martha's birth until 1803 seems a blank, as is the period after marriage in Canada, until she is next recorded having her first daughter in Poole. Dorset. England in 1815

TIA Del

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Brewster or Brouster or Browster
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 01:24 BST (UK) »
Greetings
It's best just to have a post on one board - a moderator can move it to another board if needed.
(duplicate post on http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=801347)

I'm a little confused here.  The timeline seems to be:
Joseph BROUSTER married Mary GIRTY before c1775
c1775-9 family leave Pennsylvania bound for Michigan with children
1779 Joseph BROUSTER killed
c1781 Martha born
c1780s family settle in Quebec
1803 Martha married William SUMMERS (Quebec 31 Dec)
c1804 William SUMMERS born?
bef 1813 Martha & William SUMMERS move to England
1815 daughter born Poole, Dorset

Could you let us know which events have been confirmed from official sources (e.g. BMDs)?  Does the information come from family sources in England?

Philip

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 01:31 BST (UK) »
Yes I realised my mistake. It really should have been in Canada. In mitigation not been here for a while.

Offline dorset_nomad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 04:38 BST (UK) »
Greetings from NZ.
The timeline is correct. Points 1,2 and 3 are gleaned from various documents available online, dealing with the American Revolutionary & Indians wars, also online documents in the UK archives dealing with UK Loyalist compensation claims. Under oath to the King's commissioners, Mary Girty details the events en route to Detroit. Simon Brouster (son) was born about 1772, York County, Pennsylvania, USA. Margaret Brouster was born about 1775, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, USA. It is reasonable to assume the parents were married shortly before these events.

Point 4 is a calculation only. At marriage on 31st Dec 1803 Martha is recorded as 22 years of age. See the record in the Drouin Collection, Quebec St Andrews church. Permission was given by Sir Robert Shore-Milnes, the then Lieutenant Governor of Lower Canada. The marriage record is online.

Point 5 Is a natural assumption since Margaret was baptised and later died 19th Jan 1792. She is buried in Sorel, Pierre-De Saurel, Quebec, Canada. Her mother Mary Girty died 27th Oct 1795 and is buried in the same town. The BMD's here are online

Point 6. This William is mentioned in some family papers dated late 19th/ early 20th century. The author was a Great Aunt of mine with a very sharp mind, even into her 80's. She also mentions subsequent siblings and the events surrounding William's (father) death in 1824 very accurately.

Point 7. The first record I have found of William & Martha, post marriage is when their daughter Martha Summers (1815-1822) was born/ baptised at St James church in Poole Dorset England. Robert Ash Summers (1818-?) and Mary Brouster (1820-?) followed. Martha the mother died 17th April 1822 in Parkstone, Poole Dorset England. William the father was missing at sea during a bad storm 24th Nov 1824. The BMD's here are available online.

The whole thrust of this is to try and ascertain Martha's parentage. If Joseph's death is passably accurate he could not have fathered Martha. It would be nice to locate a document showing what the British bought when the hostages were sold, Mary Brouster and two children or three. If three then Mary would likely be impregnated by her Indian captors. To me this has become important, Martha is my 3x Great Grandmother. There is an 11 years gap between marriage in Quebec and records in England. This is a huge gap in the understanding of my family tree

Hope that makes clear the questions.

Derek