Author Topic: Street Numbers  (Read 1408 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Street Numbers
« on: Tuesday 02 October 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters, this I am sure will be an easy question to answer but not for me. I am aware that house numbers did not commence until the 1850's but looking at the 1871 census (originals) my 2 x G. Grandparents were living at 14 Princes St. and one of their children was living at 13 Princes St. On the census forms the houses are in numerical order from No.9 - No.13.  Now I always thought that house on one side of the street were the even numbers and the odd numbers on the other side (this street had rows of terrace houses on both sides). obviously if only a row of houses on one side then they would be numbered one after the other, but as said, this wasn't the case. Would the enumerator have zig zagged across the road to get them in numerical order or were they numbered that way. The houses have since been demolished.
The 1911 census has 2 of my ancestors living at 25 & 27 Eglesfield Rd. The houses are still there, I have been there and taken a photograph and are in the odds & evens numbers on their respective sides.
So were they numbered one after the other on the same side of the street or was the enumerator going backwards and forwards across the street?
These streets are/were in Westoe, South Shields, Co. Durham.
Many thanks, Paul

Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Street Numbers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 12:28 BST (UK) »
Can you give their names, or the census reference so the enumerator's book can be looked at?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Good question. Out of interest, no one could find where British commanders offices were in the Crimea 1854 to 1856. You could for the French Army. House numbering was introduced by Napoleon Bonaparte. Odds one side, evens other side.

The confusion continues. My neighbour and I have an address but we face onto another road, only our driveways and garages are in the correct road. It causes no end of confusion even to the Royal Mail. If I get any misposted mail, it goes straight in the bin.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
I always thought that house on one side of the street were the even numbers and the odd numbers on the other side

That's the usual way but it's not always the case.

Would the enumerator have zig zagged across the road to get them in numerical order or were they numbered that way

That's not the way the census books were prepared. The enumerator would collect the census returns from each household and write them up in the book later. Normally they would be entered in household order but it's not always the case.

The 1881 and 1891 censuses for Princes Street show odds and evens separately.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 12:38 BST (UK) »

If I get any misposted mail, it goes straight in the bin. 

I think that is a shocking thing to do and quite possibly illegal.

If you throw a letter in the bin you might be committing an offence. If you are found guilty you could face a fine of up to £5,000 or even spend up to six months in jail. Throwing letters away is also morally questionable as well as illegal

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/money/spending/consumer-rights/2016/how-to-deal-with-wrongly-delivered-post
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 12:48 BST (UK) »

If I get any misposted mail, it goes straight in the bin. 

I think that is a shocking thing to do and quite possibly illegal.

If you throw a letter in the bin you might be committing an offence. If you are found guilty you could face a fine of up to £5,000 or even spend up to six months in jail. Throwing letters away is also morally questionable as well as illegal

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/money/spending/consumer-rights/2016/how-to-deal-with-wrongly-delivered-post

Thanks ShaunJ for your information regarding enumerators workings. However I think this post came to me by mistake. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 12:54 BST (UK) »

The confusion continues. My neighbour and I have an address but we face onto another road, only our driveways and garages are in the correct road. It causes no end of confusion even to the Royal Mail. If I get any misposted mail, it goes straight in the bin.
Not a nice thing to do.

Some places have odd and even numbers on opposite sides of the street, others just have the house's numbered consecutively.
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 12:55 BST (UK) »
I could become a slave to you self sanctimonious people, but won't.
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
I could become a slave to you self sanctimonious people, but won't.

Bet you'd be pleased if you found someone did the same to your misposted mail...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.