Author Topic: Gravestone and not so close family members  (Read 816 times)

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
Gravestone and not so close family members
« on: Tuesday 02 October 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
On a recent visit to a cemetery photographing all graves I could find with my ancestors surnames I came across this gravestone which does belong to ancestors of mine. However the people written on the stone weren't exactly close.
Margaret Thompson d. 1951 was the daughter of my G. Uncle and Aunt, Alfred & Jane (nee Todd) Thompson.
Margaret Todd d.1937 was the sister of the above mentioned Jane Thompson (nee Todd).
Clifford Collinson d. 1938 was the grandson of Alfred & Lily (nee Gallagher) Thompson. Alfred was the son of the above mentioned Alfred & Jane Thompson.

Yes they were all connected but was it common to have such loosely connected people in one grave. Was it a money saving means or were they all put together rather than just having a lonely gravestone with one person on it (it looks as though neither of the 2 Margarets married so no partner to have buried with them).
Would be grateful if someone has an answer.
Many thanks, Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields

Offline roderickpaulin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestone and not so close family members
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 13:54 BST (UK) »
Jane Thompson nee Todd
her sister, her daughter, her grandson
I would consider those as close relations
Anderson-Black-Bone-Brahant-Burnside-Cameron-Cook-Curle-Ferriss-Gilchrist-Gilmour-Goodson-Hahn-Holmes-Hodge-Kepple-Klingensmith-Lane-Laurie-Lounsbury-Malott-MacDonald-M*cGregor-M*cKay-M*cKenzie-M*cLennan-McArthur-McMillan-Meiklejohn-Melvin-Miller-Moir-Murray-Murray-Olding-O'Neil-O'Neil-Pat*erson-Paulin-Pentland-Pidgeon-Plenderleith-Redfield-Robertson-Sexsmith-Shuel-Spark-Steel-Stewart-Thomson-Torrence-Urquhart-Wardrope-Weir-Wilson-Wright.
surnames in direct line - going back 8 generations

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
'Family' grave plots were sold and would have a number attached to them for how many people could be buried in them, so there was a plot to bury a person, As you have shown these are members of the same family.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 14:11 BST (UK) »
On a recent visit to a cemetery photographing all graves I could find with my ancestors surnames I came across this gravestone which does belong to ancestors of mine. However the people written on the stone weren't exactly close.
Margaret Thompson d. 1951 was the daughter of my G. Uncle and Aunt, Alfred & Jane (nee Todd) Thompson.
Margaret Todd d.1937 was the sister of the above mentioned Jane Thompson (nee Todd).
Clifford Collinson d. 1938 was the grandson of Alfred & Lily (nee Gallagher) Thompson. Alfred was the son of the above mentioned Alfred & Jane Thompson.

Yes they were all connected but was it common to have such loosely connected people in one grave. Was it a money saving means or were they all put together rather than just having a lonely gravestone with one person on it (it looks as though neither of the 2 Margarets married so no partner to have buried with them).
Many thanks, Paul

One question you should ask is were they all buried in that grave?
I would suggest searching the grave (or plot) register to find the answer.

The stone itself does not suggest they are all buried in the plot but is in the form of a memorial stone rather than a gravestone.
I would suggest Margaret Thompson was the first buried in the plot and Margaret Todd & Clifford Collinson were buried in different plots which were not marked with a headstone.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
It's not uncommon for a headstone to be erected after several burials in a plot then earlier names and dates put on the headstone. Hopefully there will be interment records to see exactly who is in that plot.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 21:48 BST (UK) »

Many thanks, Paul

One question you should ask is were they all buried in that grave?
I would suggest searching the grave (or plot) register to find the answer.

The stone itself does not suggest they are all buried in the plot but is in the form of a memorial stone rather than a gravestone.
I would suggest Margaret Thompson was the first buried in the plot and Margaret Todd & Clifford Collinson were buried in different plots which were not marked with a headstone.

Cheers
Guy

Indeed...it is a Memorial stone not a gravestone!  Quite common. Some even say "buried in America"  or "buried in a nearby Cemetery".
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline PaulThommo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Steady Aim
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 03:05 BST (UK) »
A big thank you to all who have replied and enlightened me as to the possibilities/probabilities. I too thought that it could be a memorial stone erected after the last person died. I can quite understand previous burials being in unmarked graves as my family were just labourers and obviously money was scarce.
I have made a note of the death dates on my 'things to do' and next time in the South Shields area will call into the library and visit the family history area and check the records for plot details.
I do have a family gravestone that has quite a few members of the family buried there and also reference to the father who was buried at another cemetery (listed).
Once again thank you all for your input, much appreciated. Paul
Thompson - Stokesley, Great Ayton, Little Ayton &  Easby Nth Yorkshire. Westoe, South Shields, Gateshead
Dobson - Westoe & South Shields
Jefferson - South Shields
Rippon - Jarrow & South Shields
Purves & Harvey - South Shields