Author Topic: Marriage of David Logan to Ann ????  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of David Logan to Ann ????
« on: Tuesday 02 October 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
Jane Logan (Berwick 1793) was the daughter of David Logan(Berwick 1765) and Ann (Northumberland, probably Tweedmouth from census info, 1772)

The only marriage of a David Logan to an Ann that I can find is in Symington in Ayrshire in 1791. Ann is possibly Ann McNaught but I'm unsure. The date fits with the birth of Jane but Ann would have been under 21 so could not have married in England unless she had parental consent.

Is this an example of a Scottish irregular marriage which more famously happens at Gretna? Why go to Symington when you live in Tweedmouth which is a stone's throw from Scotland and you could be there on foot in minutes?

Any thoughts or alternative records/explanations would be appreciated. Does the Northumberland record of their marriage simply not exist?

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of David Logan to Ann ????
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
If David had children born in Scotland then the mothers maiden name will be recorded eg:

DAVID LOGAN/ANN MCNAUGHT Symington

SUSANNA 1792, ELIONORA FERGUS, 1796 , MARGARET KELSO 1798

OR - DAVID LOGAN/ANN HALL Coldingham, Berwickshire

DAVID 30/04/1798, ELIZABETH ANN 12/05/1799, ANN 14/05/1795,
DAVID 18/07/1803,  WILLIAM RICHARD 24/11/1804

Sadly no marriage on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and no Jane for this family.

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Looking at Familysearch.Org, David/Ann had these children christened Berwick-upon-Tweed, Northumberland.
John Hall 1788
Richard 1789
Mary 1791
Jane 1793
Isabella 1794
+
Margaret 06 Feb 1801, Parents David Logan/Ann Hall*

(Isabellas has Father as David Lieut. Logan)

Unfortunately there is a JANE Logan buried 19 July 1793, Daug of David ???

Other burials Father David;
Richard 1 Feb 1791
Ann 20 May 1795

GRO Death Reg;
LOGAN, DAVID age 80 ***
GRO Reference: 1840  D Quarter in THE BERWICK UPON TWEED UNION  Volume 25  Page 11

So born c 1760

1841 Census has a Ann Logan born c 1751 living in Berwick, Independant, born Scotland

I cant find the 1851 Census you mention for the Ann Logan born c 1772?

Hope this all makes sense;

Colc posted;

OR - DAVID LOGAN/ANN HALL Coldingham, Berwickshire

DAVID 30/04/1798, ELIZABETH ANN 12/05/1799, ANN 14/05/1795,
DAVID 18/07/1803,  WILLIAM RICHARD 24/11/1804

So if the Ann is Ann Hall and David was a Lieutenant and in the Lilitary having some children born Scotland and others in Northumberland is possible.

Ann 1795 might be the Ann, Daug of David buried 20 May 1795

What worries me is the Burial of Jane Logan 1793, Daug of David
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin, does the Marriage you noted have a date?
DAVID LOGAN/ANN HALL Coldingham, Berwickshire

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,
No marriage I'm afraid just the records for their children.
I posted it firstly to illustrate the marriage in Symington was not correct and secondly that was the only David & Ann in Berwickshire, so therefore not the parents of Jane.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 14:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Colin :)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, both of you, for your efforts.

The Symington/McNaught marriage looks very unsafe. Trish, I can see those children you mention and it certainly looks from that evidence that Ann Hall is the likely spouse of David Logan. The death of Jane Logan is troubling though.

Looking at some of the associated trees for the Halls on FamilySearch it seems there might be a military tradition in the family. If David, husband of Ann Hall, is a lieutenant it seems that one of his ancestors, also David Logan, may have been a colonel. In those days that rank would have been associated with significant social status and may be worth probing at.

ColC: Can you clarify the source of the records you quote or are they just illustrative of format?

Your endeavours are appreciated, even if only to eliminate inaccuracies.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 22:25 BST (UK) »
Looking again and reckon that Lieutenant David Logan became Colonel David Logan.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 22:56 BST (UK) »
Looking in the newspapers of the time, I'm not sure but I think there may be 2 David LOGANs. Certainly there are announcements of David LOGAN's promotion from Ensign to Lieutenant in 1801 and to major (resigned) in 1807.

However, there is a David LOGAN, magistrate at Berwick upon Tweed mentioned in 1805. He possibly becomes mayor of Berwick (mentioned in 1825).

There is also an advertisement for the sale of the Estate of John HALL (at Holy Island, Durham), "David LOGAN, Esq Berwick will treat with intending purchasers" in 1825.

Modified to add: Ensign/Lieutenant David LOGAN was in the Reay Fencibles (which was disbanded in 1802).

The promotion to major was for the "loyal Berwick volunteer infantry", so possibly the same man as the magistrate/mayor?