Author Topic: Parents of Lawson ARMSTRONG  (Read 1511 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Lawson ARMSTRONG
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 October 18 21:36 BST (UK) »
I did look at the PRs for All Saints today and the only additional information on the baptism record was that John was an Upholdster.  I’ve heard of an Upholder and an Upholsterer - perhaps it’s one of those.  One thing I noticed is that, like most records of that time, the mother’s name was not recorded.  Where did you get the information from about his mother being Jane Lawson?

Christine

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 October 18 04:40 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks so much everybody for all your replies.  It's given me lots to look at and follow up.  The Ulgham link is definitely helpful.

C-SIDE - I actually can't remember where I got the name Jane Lawson from - might have been from someone on Ancestry - I'd have to go back through all my notes to find it.

Certainly the name Lawson made sense since John ARMSTRONG named his son Lawson ARMSTRONG and Lawson wasn't generally a first name.

But yes this could be a red-herring and would need to be confirmed if at all possible though it seems unlikely since her name isn't mentioned with Lawson ARMSTRONG on any records that have yet been found.

John and Jane also had another son also called John who was bpt in 1717.  Seems that they only had the 2 children (or at least that have found so far).

If George LAWSON was Jane's brother then going by the wording in his will it seems that perhaps Jane and also maybe John had died by 1738 and George left money in his will for the care of their children Lawson and John.

Definitely more investigation is to be had - as always :)
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 October 18 09:57 BST (UK) »
Looking at George Lawson's will again it would appear that John Armstrong and Lawson Armstrong were the principal legatees,  the executor William Lawson being their trustee.

I also  note that he left £500 to his niece Elizabeth Lawson daughter of his late brother Ralph. Ralph died intestate in 1693, predeceasing his father, Robert. Bearing in mind that Robert refers in his will to his granddaughters Elizabeth and Jane, my theory,for what it is worth,  is that Jane Lawson was the daughter of Ralph. Perhaps George brought his nieces up after his brother's death.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 October 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
A baptism on Familysearch at Ulgham, 20 Oct 1692, Janeta daughter of Radulphi Lawson.

Radulphus is Latin for Ralph, so Janeta must be a form of Jane.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 October 18 01:57 BST (UK) »
It does look like Jane was the daughter of Ralph.

But she is not the Jane mentioned in George's will as it states "to my niece Jane, wife of John Taylor of Amble".

My Jane was married to John ARMSTRONG so this can't be her unless of course she married again or was married before - certainly something to consider.

There is quite a bit of Lawson information in the Ulgham records which definitely helps to fill in the blanks.
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 October 18 02:45 BST (UK) »
I have seen many boys named after friends or neighbours. Two places predominate. Stanhope, County Durham and North Carolina, USA.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 October 18 07:34 BST (UK) »
Marriage bond 6 March 1731/32 - John Taylor of Amble, Gentleman, and Jane Armstrong of Warkworth, Widow. Directed to Warkworth. Bond by John Bell of Newcastle, Gentleman.

Marriage at Warkworth 8 March 1731/32. Johannes Taylor de Amble et Jane Armstrong de Gloster Hill.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 October 18 08:18 BST (UK) »
You are all so amazing.  I'm floored by all the information that you have been able to find.  I'm very much a beginning in terms of knowing my way around records etc so this information has all been great.

Now we know that Jane married again and that she is the Jane mentioned in George's will.

I can't thank you all enough for the help.

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 October 18 08:30 BST (UK) »
It also now gives me yet another led - seems John Armstrong must have died between 1720-1732.  Now hunting for his death...