Author Topic: CORNWELL family history  (Read 3279 times)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CORNWELL family history
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 October 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Jamjar,

All I have on Sarah West CORNWELL (b 9.3.1849 Bottisham Fen) is her marriage to James AUSTEN at Parramatta in 1869, her death on 12.10.1929, & subsequent burial at Rookwood. To explain, I only trace the male CORNWELL family line - it just helps me keep things more manageable.

And yes, I am a second cousin to Holmes John CORNWELL and was aware of his marriage to Margaret KELLY but I currently only have one child listed from their marriage. So it seems I have a lot more work to do there. Many thanks for the steer.

Does your own ancestry somehow connect to this CORNWELL jigsaw ? 
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 October 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
No, I don’t have Cornwell in my tree, I just like a challenge.

Silly me, I don’t know why I didn’t try that spelling:

19983/1929 AUSTEN Sarah (-CORNWALL) 8O YRS REDFERN REDFERN

Births for John and Margaret, QLD:

1897 John Percival Holmes died 1958 - married Effie Winifred Nielsen
1898 James Alexander died 1949 buried Balmoral Cemetery Brisbane - married Ivy Johnson
1900 Isabella Marjory married James William Innes
1901 Thomas died 1903 buried South Brisbane Cemetery with William, Margaret and 2 Kelly’s
1903 William Robert died 1903 buried South Brisbane Cemetery with Thomas, Margaret and 2 Kelly’s
1903 Joseph died 1948 buried South Brisbane Cemetery with mother
1903 Margaret Ivy died 1904 buried South Brisbane Cemetery with Thomas William and 2 Kelly’s
1905 Albert Edward died 1906 buried South Brisbane Cemetery with mother
1905 Alice married Francis John McQueen
1907 Edward may be Leslie who is buried South Brisbane Cemetery with mother 14-6-1907

1957 B19445 Margaret Black Cornwell parents John Kelly and Isabella Mair - buried with children.

Holmes was cremated at Mt Thompson.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 October 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
Jamjar,

I am staggered by your very kind co-operation and particularly as you have no personal interest. Many, many thanks. You have totally rejuvenated my research into my Australian ancestors and I raise my glass in your general direction.   
CORNWELLs (and variants) with origins in the ancient county of Cambridgeshire & Isle of Ely - any date.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 October 18 13:01 BST (UK) »
Nothing like a little prod to get one interested again, Peter.  ;D

My trees are completed, so I’m always looking for others to dabble in.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 October 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
Jamjar,

Feel free to dabble in the CORNWELL tree as much you like. I remain very much obliged to you.

Kind Regards,

Peter C

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 October 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jennaya. That is much appreciated.

Private messages received in response to my query prompts me to add the following details:

John CORNWELL (b 1827 Cambs.) arrived in NSW in 1857 with his second wife Rebecca (BENSTEAD 1838-1857) and two children from his first marriage; Sarah West CORNWELL (b 1849) & Holmes CORNWELL (b 1851). Another child, Isaac, was born en-route but died shortly after arrival. After the death of Rebecca, he married Mary Ann SLATER and had at least four more children; John West CORNWELL (1859-1859), Rebecca CORNWELL (1866-1950), Sydney CORNWELL (1864-1950), & Mary West CORNWELL (b 1866).
Holmes Cornwell means he is definitely in (or should be in ) my Ayres/ Cornwell tree. I will have a look over the weekend.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Peter Cornwell

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 October 18 07:36 BST (UK) »
Redroger,

He is most certainly part of your tree being the second son of John Day CORNWELL (1787-1864) & Sarah WEST (1793-1891) of White Fen, Bottisham. He is mentioned in John Day's will dated 18 May 1858 where, described as 'now in Australia', he inherited £30.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 07 October 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Peter, Yes I do have him, and he's not that far distant in terms of relationship.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Kangaroos

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 11:18 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather's name was John William Cornwell born in 1888 in Newmarket Cambridgeshire. His parents were John Cornwell and Sarah Ann Howe.
His siblings were Florence Grace, Samuel Covill, Ethel Maud, Lillian Hannah, Hephzibah Sarah and Gerald Benjamin.
My grandfather came out to Australia in 1913 with his first wife Fanny Wayland.
Just wondering whether I am related to any of the other Cornwell's on this page, and if so would like to learn more about the Cornwells in England.
Nicole