Author Topic: Looking for Raf Pilot Service Number.  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Raf Pilot Service Number.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 October 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
Must find his personal dates. He would have been born around 1915/20 or so. Officers didn't have service numbers. Familysearch would be ideal, free only have to register.

It should be noted there were sergeant pilots in RAF during WWII and commissioned officers as navigators. I had a relative by marriage who was a Lancaster navigator and a Flight Lieutenant, his pilot may have been a sergeant.

Added: I've tried to do it for you. Too many of them. You must have some idea where he came from. 

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 October 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
"It should be noted there were sergeant pilots in RAF during WWII and commissioned officers as navigators. I had a relative by marriage who was a Lancaster navigator and a Flight Lieutenant, his pilot may have been a sergeant."

Excellent point Regorian!

Alexander Archibald. Both of those names are typically Scottish. If he was a Scot then that might help narrow things down a little? There must be more known about this chap?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 October 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
I think you'll find that all RAF personnel including officers had service numbers.

The army and navy who formed the RAF in 1918 had to sort out their numbers. The army kept theirs and the navy had to have slight alterations.

Service numbers are needed to identify you and in those days pay you. It didn't matter who you were you had a number.

Did he marry when in the RAF or have a child, his number could be on the certs.

Confirming pilots in WW2 could be officers or NCOs.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 October 18 12:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for correction Medpat. I would add post war all pilots would be commissioned officers, may have extended further.

In this matter birth and death is crucial. Archibald was a common Christian name from late 19th Century to 1940's?, a second cousins father born 1899 was an Archibald.

It's up to the OP to give us a clue to where he came from.   
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 October 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
Just to save circling round the buoy again with NCO pilots, AIR 78 cited by Ticketyboo has 6 Alexander Archibald but, as rightly said, no further info other than numbers.

There appears to be no London Gazette entry around the Second World War time for an RAF or RAFVR officer  of that name (or variations).

MaxD

PS  For info, you don't have to bother to download the AIR 78 file, go to Preview and trawl through the index cards there, easily readable.
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 October 18 14:42 BST (UK) »
According to Reply 6, his name was Archibald Alexander.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 October 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
Not so, Tickettyboo got his name that way round to land on AIR 78/2 but corrected it later.  The OP has Alexander Archibald.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 October 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
OK, but no further forward.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 04 October 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
A free search on Forces War Records produces seven RAF matches of Alexander Archibald with Service Numbers. Not a lot of help in itself but three of those have second forenames provided. Does Robert know if this chap had a second forename?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)