Author Topic: Service in Ireland  (Read 1718 times)

Offline jervis42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Service in Ireland
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 00:26 BST (UK) »
There are several records in Ancestry for Walter Bolus. He Served initially as a private in King Edwards Horse, serving in France from June 1916. He was later commissioned as an Officer on 22/02/1918.

As regards service in Ireland, units of the KEH was involved in the fighting in Dublin in the April 1916 rebellion. Some of his comrades were killed in action. As he was a private in 1916, he would not have been in charge of the execution but would have been part of the firing party - doing the shooting.

Within the firing party, some of the rifiles were loaded with blanks instead of real bullets. The theory being no one would know if they fired a fatal shot or not.

Offline jervis42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 00:31 BST (UK) »
Searching the CWGC website, you will see 3 KEH men were killed in Dublin 1916. All from the 2nd battalion KEH and most likely your ancestor's unit.

Offline Walter Stevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 07:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for the responses. I had heard that he had maimly served as (I think) the equivalent of a Company Sergeant Major.
Stevens Bolus Goulding Pike Davis

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
The responses so far have squeezed as much as can be obtained from on line records (and yes we also wish our archives were free to all like others!).

Without his record, which would include both his other rank and officer service, we don't know which element(s) of KEH he served with (although the deaths of three 2 KEH men in Ireland that Jervis42 cites does indeed suggest that was his unit at that time at least).  The regiment has a complicated war history as you will have seen for the site that iluleah cited.
This National Archives link shows the war diaries and also illustrates that the regiments operated by squadron attached to different divisions at different times:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=king%20edwards%20horse&_cr=WO%2095&_dss=range&_ro=any&_p=1900&_st=adv
(Part of one of the war diaries for 2 KEH in 1915 (before he was overseas) is in the Canadian Archives (access free) because they were attached at the time to the Canadian Corps).

Thus we don't know which war diary to look at for the chance of his name appearing although, as  his medal card shows that he didn’t serve overseas until  Jun 1916 and 2 KEH was disbanded in August 1917, one or two could be discounted.

All that said, your interest in your man in the 1916 Ireland period is likely to be difficult, dare I say impossible, to pin down.   His record will have nothing about it.  Not from a secrecy point of view but as Ireland was part of UK at the time, his time in service up to when he went to France in Jun 16 will simply be covered by a heading “UK date from/ to”
You would be best advised to seek out more general sources rather than an individual’s service record.  Philip has pointed you to  “The history of King Edward’s Horse (The King’s Overseas Dominions Regiment)” edited by Lieut-Col. Lionel James (London: Sifton, Praed & Co., 1921).  I have seen discussion about the composition of the firing squad that executed the leaders of the uprising over 9 days in May 1916.  The book “The Easter Uprising” by Foy and Barton records that the squads were found by the 59th Division stationed in Ireland at the time and the weight of research indicates that they were from the Sherwood Foresters.  As Jervis42 has pointed out, he was not commissioned until almost 2 years later so he would not have commanded a firing squad and, while he was in Ireland at the time, I would be sceptical about him taking part without contemporary evidence.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Walter Stevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maxd, I concur with your thinking. I may do a bit more digging but I think I'll move on to his WWII career in the South African Artillery in North Africa. Amazing how much conflict a person who was not particularly keen on the military could get into in one lifetime! He was even blindfolded and nearly executed during a rebellion on the Witwatersrand between the 2 World Wars...

Seriously though, he was born of a family that had maintained strong English ties and he was a committed to the relationship with Britain, despite it becoming increasing unpopular in South Africa. He refused to buy German or Japanese cars his whole life, and was very negative about those peoples in the abstract. On an individual level, however (for example with the local German parish priest) he could have a convivial conversation. His attitudes were common of a category of both English and Afrikaans speaking South Africans, but became a minority opinion.

Stevens Bolus Goulding Pike Davis

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 15:37 BST (UK) »
Good luck.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia