Author Topic: James Glynn?Elizabeth Turnbull  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Glynn?Elizabeth Turnbull
« on: Wednesday 03 October 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Good evening
I'm totally new to Northumberland research, so please forgive obvious idiocy:

I'm trying to trace James Glynn b 1773ish who I think may have married an Elizabeth Turnbull.  He was father of Joseph Glynn  & operated Ouseburn foundry from about 1817,
The family are easy to follpw as the 19th century went on, but I'm focused on the 18th century Glynns

I should be grateful for any information at all -this is a new enterprisse for me
Best
Maggott

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Glynn?Elizabeth Turnbull
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
Do you have their wills?
http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

If you go there and put Glynn in the search box, select them all (there are only four first names turning up) then follow the instructions about how to follow through to the images on family search.

Wills 'may' give a  clues  to other family members: spouses, children, siblings and even parents.

You may get lucky :-)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 October 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
hmm  I had a looksee.
There only seems to be one will, for a Joseph Glynn of Morpeth, who wrote his will in 1808 and probate was granted in 1809. He named his son as James Glynn,of Newcastle upon Tyne ironfounder as his sole executor, apart from an annuity and use of the house which he bequeathed to his wife Ann and a bequest to his daughter Mary Stewart Glynn, James was the main beneficiary.

The other entries are administration bonds
2 for James Glynn, ironfounder, Newcastle one dated 1826 and one dated 1828 - both mention a widow called Elizabeth

1 for a William Glynn, bachelor, ironfounder of Newcastle who died 16 Jan 1837 and mentions his mother, Elizabeth Glynn plus an Edward Glynn whose relationship isn't mentioned

1 for a John Glynn who died 1845
which mention brothers Joseph, Henry and Edward Glynn

fingers crossed these are your people and the documents help

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 18 01:48 BST (UK) »
Looking at Family Search, the marriage in 1797 took place at St Andrews, Newcastle on 10th Dec  1797. The image from the Bishops Transcript is here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mt6/

and all it says it the date and their names.

I looked for children with the surname Glynn and parents James and Elizabeth Family Search is bringing up 7 children baptised at Groat Market Meeting House Non conformist in Newcastle

Its bringing up the same children as being baptised at All Saints Newcastle

I 'think' this family were probably non conformist (possibly Presbyterian) and as such had the children baptised at Groat Market.
As the Anglican church was the sort of civil registration at the time and at some stage children may have to have proof of age etc, so sometimes  people would ask that their births be entered in the Anglican registers. Not baptised there, but they did this to make sure there was an officially recognised record of their birth.

I looked at one of these duplicate entries, a James Glynn,

parents James Glynn and Elizabeth in the Groat Market record and it says born 15th April 1804, baptised 11th June 1804.

and parents James Glynn and Elizabeth Turnbull in the All Saints record, says baptised 17th April 1804.

Then I checked the Bishop's transcript for All Saints and there is no James Glynn listed for April 17th

I suspect that the vicar wrote it in the original register, but didn't bother copying the non conformist entries to report to the Bishop.

The LDS have digital images for All Saints original parish register, but they can only be viewed at a Local History Centre. If no one can check the original register at the archives for you before I go next (probably in a couple of weeks) I'll check for you.

Boo

Offline Maggott

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 October 18 15:03 BST (UK) »
Boo-  You Are A STAR = thank you very much indeed for your messages.

Just the information I needed to get me started with the Glynns,  If you could find time to check out the LDS microfilms.... Currently I'm pretty much stuck at home, with a dodgy back & no transport, so that would be a really big help.
Very bestMaggott

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 October 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
If no one else picks this up and looks at the archives, I'll look next time I go. Though at the mo I don't know exactly when. I am hoping for next week, but I was hoping for this week and that didn't pan out :-)

As far as I can see on the LDS Catalogue, I can't check the Groat Market NC records as they don't seem to have digitised those and its no longer possible to order in microfilms. Not sure about the marriage but I'll give it a go.

I should be able to see the images for the baptisms at All Saints Original Register though and they are the ones which included Elizabeth's maiden surname.

Boo

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 October 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
James Glyn
England Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991
birth:   1774   
burial:   10 April 1826   Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England
abode: All Saints

1841 Census
St Anns Row
All Saints, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland
Elizth Glynn, 65
Henry Glynn, 25, Engineer
Edwd Glynn, 20, Solicitor

Nearby is John Glynn age 30, Iron Founder + 1 servant

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 October 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
GRO Death Reg;
GLYNN, ELIZABETH age 69 ****
GRO Reference: 1844  J Quarter in NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE UNION  Volume 25  Page 214
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 October 18 19:33 BST (UK) »
Newcastle Courant
03 May 1844  page 4, col 4

Deaths
At Newcastle,

At St Ann’s Row, on the 26th ult, aged 68, deeply regretted, Elizabeth, relict of the late James Glynn, Esq.

She seems to have lost a year off her age,  since her death was registered :-)

Boo