Author Topic: Searching addresses  (Read 710 times)

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching addresses
« on: Thursday 04 October 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm going around in circles with a thread in my family history. Discovered a member of the family listed on a headstone. No idea who it was so with the aid of help on here I managed to narrow it down to a registered birth in Bradford. (The little lass died at 1 month and all known members of the family point to this being out of wedlock.) The thing is, no one I can find in the family ever lived or was born in Bradford and on this lasses death certificate (I can't find the birth) the mother is a 'May Kennedy' a 'Spinster.' The closest I get in my known family is a Mary.... They are all pretty much embedded in Catholic Liverpool.

The death cert. lists 14 Chaucer Place (UD?) Bradford on 14.10.1953 Any way of finding out who was living here at that time?

Any help with this one would, as always, be gratefully appreciated. I presume I can't search for the birth certificate because it's 1953? The headstone read Kathleen Kennedy.

Mx

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching addresses
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
You can order the birth certificate:

Kathleen M N Kennedy, December quarter, Bradford 2b 152

(mother's maiden name Kennedy).
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 October 18 12:27 BST (UK) »
My mother was a Mary but was always known as May.

As to who lived in Chaucer Place in 1953, electoral rolls and street directories are probably the best bet.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Horsley2016

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 October 18 12:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Stupid question but where do I search electoral roles? I can't seem to narrow a search down fewer than 10,000+ on Ancestry! I think I'm missing a trick...!

Shaun J - where did you find that birth info?!!  :D Thank you - I couldn't search as far along as 1953 on GRO! The maiden name ties in and I can't see any other Kathleen Kennedy's who died at 0 in that year anywhere so it must be her.... I just can't yet make the link as to why and who was in Bradford and then why, if she was 'sent away' from Liverpool to have the baby, would the little soul be 'allowed' to be brought back to Liverpool and buried in the family plot....?  ???

Thank you all.

Mx

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 October 18 13:11 BST (UK) »

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 October 18 03:48 BST (UK) »
I can't see any other Kathleen Kennedy's who died at 0 in that year anywhere so it must be her.... I just can't yet make the link as to why and who was in Bradford and then why, if she was 'sent away' from Liverpool to have the baby, would the little soul be 'allowed' to be brought back to Liverpool and buried in the family plot....?  ???

Unlikely if the family wanted to keep the birth secret. There might also be cost to consider.

If the address was a church-run mother & baby home it might have been in the Catholic Directory for the diocese.
Cowban