Author Topic: Marriage Data for Lanarkshire?  (Read 857 times)

Offline Walter Stevens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Marriage Data for Lanarkshire?
« on: Thursday 04 October 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there I'm a genealogical newbie, but I've done ok with the help of familysearch. Scotland has me stumped though. Why when I search for people (eg Annie McIntyre  b c1870) looking for her marriage to Mitchell, do I only get birth and census data back? Are marriages recorded elsewhere? Btw I know they had a child, Annie McIntyre  Mitchell in around 1891 in Lanarkshire, but I don't know their religion.
Stevens Bolus Goulding Pike Davis

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Data for Lanarkshire?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 18 16:20 BST (UK) »
Scotland's People is the website you need..... https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 October 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

FamilySearch only has Scottish births and marriages to about 1874, plus one or two later ones. So obviously they won't have the marriage of anyone born in 1870-ish. In any case they only have indexes and transcriptions, not actual original documents.

There's a birth of Ann McIntyre Mitchell in Barrhead and Levern in 1889, and a marriage of George Mitchell to Annie McIntyre in Anderston (Glasgow) in 1886. You can download images of the original certificates at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 October 18 21:33 BST (UK) »
Walter, someone has added to their family tree online the original image of the 1886 marriage that Forfarian mentions. It shows:

1886 Marriage George Mitchell to Annie McIntyre

March 26, 1886

15 Cranston St, Glasgow

George Mitchell, 28, Blacksmith Journeyman of 15 Cranston St, Glasgow , son of Adam Mitchell, Blacksmith and Annie McMillan married Annie McIntyre, 23, Domestic Servant, of 8 Mitchell St, daughter of Colin McIntyre, Slate Quarry and Flora McPhail.

Monica

Added: The religion is the United Presbyterian Church according to the marriage reg.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 October 18 21:38 BST (UK) »
If you have a subscription to Ancestry (or maybe accessible at your local library?), this is the family tree on there which includes many original certificate images and some photos www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/24675205/person/1550241057/facts

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk