Author Topic: Gedmatch - not sure what use it is!  (Read 3669 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Gedmatch - not sure what use it is!
« on: Friday 05 October 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
As everyone seemed to rave about gedmatch and how useful it was, I took the plunge and uploaded my DNA stuff to it a couple of weeks ago.

I've been able to access the results for most of that time (they were very quick) but I'm finding I'm not really that bothered (and I AM a very keen family historian!). I thought it would add valuable info to my genealogical research but all it seems to do is give me another list of matches a la Ancestry but this time with no access to possible trees (okay, the odd one has uploaded a Gedcom). So, really its just a repeat process of emailing people on the list who haven't tested with Ancestry and probably 9 times out of 10 getting no reply.

Speaking of Ancestry: why do I have some people on my gedmatch list of matches who, according to the 'A' before their kit number, have also tested with Ancestry but do not seem to appear on my original Ancestry match list? Why would that be?

I thought people who had bothered to go the extra mile and upload to gedmatch would be 'true' family historians and would be much keener to make contact than the average A tester ( I have always had to initiate contact on A ) so, for a change, I sat back and waited to be contacted. Nothing!

I read somewhere on another thread that Gedmatch could be helpful in finding unknown natural fathers in my tree. Can anyone explain how?

I don't mean to be negative (and it didn't cost me anything!) and perhaps I have a lot to learn. I've watched a couple of videos on YouTube to try and get into the whole gedmatch thing but I still only see a list of names and email addresses.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gedmatch - not sure what use it is!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
I've have a similar view to you about it, Jill. 

I think I've mentioned some of my feelings on other threads.  They even got my eye colour wrong!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 October 18 13:29 BST (UK) »
Gedmatch hasn't given me any new leads, but I will stand up for it. People who aren't interested in their family history are unlikely to upload it to GED match. Doing such a proactive step is a bit of a commitment to being interested in the genetic background of your family. It surprises me that you've had such a poor response. I haven't yet tried contacting anyone though.

Martin

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 October 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
Add me to that, I just don't get what it about, I also thought I be contacted by someone on that long list of email addresses but not one.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 October 18 13:40 BST (UK) »
I found a probable second cousin on Gedmatch who had tested with a different company.  We are just trying to work out in the scheme of things as she is related to my biological Unknown grandfather.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 October 18 13:42 BST (UK) »
Just to add that most of the gedmatch listings are also on Ancestry and no close matches or decent trees.  Also, the trees that are attached are very poor.

Martin - are you sure that these people are interested in their family history as it doesn't look like it to me.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 October 18 14:13 BST (UK) »
I uploaded my results years ago. I couldn't make head nor tail of it then and haven't bothered looking again.

It's all too much for me I'm afraid.  ::)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 October 18 15:06 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, it's only too common. Most people seem to be takers, not givers. Very surprising because I have received a lot of help from Rootschatters. If anything comes up which I know about, I start writing. My paternal family seems to have no interest in family history. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 October 18 15:08 BST (UK) »
Well, I must say I'm glad its not just me! I thought I was missing something!

I'm just emailing a few of them that didn't test with Ancestry as a sort of yardstick as to what kind of reaction you get from Gedmatch matches. I am finding that the vast majority of them appear to be American but I have discovered a few US relations via Ancestry and two of them turned out to be descendants of the natural fathers of two of my great grandparents so I'm loathe to discount them out of hand.

I'll wait and see if I get any replies!

On the plus side - nothing to do with Gedmatch - one of my brothers has just agreed to do the Ancestry test so that might give me a bit more to go on.

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.