Author Topic: Charles Vincent COOK - What does AFW 3149 refer to?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Vincent COOK - What does AFW 3149 refer to?
« on: Friday 05 October 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My friend is trying to locate what Army records he can for his father, namely one Charles Vincent COOK (1911-1994). The aforesaid Charles Vincent COOK was born in Mold, Flintshire, North Wales, on 6th February 1911. I know that to get the available service records my friend will have to apply himself and pay the statutory £30.

That being said, he does not know the Regiment in which his father served, or indeed his regimental number. Nor does he know where his father served. In fact, he has precious little information apart from his father's name, birth date and the name of his wife.

I just wondered whether the following number may suggest something (AFW 3149), it is the only thing that my friend has, apart from a photograph of his father whilst on active service. His father is in shorts, which may suggest his area of service was somewhere very hot, maybe Africa??

Any thoughts,

Alan
FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Vincent COOK - What does AFW 3149 refer to?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
AFW3149 is Army Form 3149 which is a medical form recording vaccinations etc.

Your friend has (with his fathers death certificate) all he needs to apply for his record.  He does not need to know the regiment and if he has date of birth he doesn't need the service number.  He should just follow the process and wait a bit!

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Vincent COOK - What does AFW 3149 refer to?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 18 15:16 BST (UK) »
I applied for my fathers RAF service record,as I am his next of kin ,I didn't have to pay the £30,they returned the uncashed cheque with the record.It did however take months to come through.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk