Author Topic: Twin sister who died at birth  (Read 1731 times)

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Twin sister who died at birth
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 October 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
A family member had a sister who was still born,early 1970's,but because her parents are both still alive she is not entitled/allowed to order the birth cert.

The parents still find the whole episode too upsetting to address.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 11:12 BST (UK) »
A family member had a sister who was still born,early 1970's,but because her parents are both still alive she is not entitled/allowed to order the birth cert.

The parents still find the whole episode too upsetting to address.

Siblings and indeed anyone in the world is allowed to order a stillbirth certificate.

That does not mean anyone will be supplied with a certificate as the applicant may have to show further information about themselves, the reasons they want or require the certificate and include additional information such as their relationship to the stillborn, whether the parents of the stillborn are alive or dead etc., etc.

For siblings if their parents are alive the Registrar General will look at their application and make a decision to allow it or refuse it. If their parents are deceased their application will be allowed.

In the case of unrelated people applying for a stillbirth certificate the Registrar General will look at their reasons for requiring the certificate and make a decision based on the facts.

The statements on the GRO site are simply office policy for ease of use by GRO staff. The legal position is different from the office policy.

Obviously I do not know the details of this case but I have personal experience of the effect of stillbirth on the parents and family. I have also had correspondence with thousands of people affected by stillbirth and the vast majority (over 95%) tell me that until the family could talk about the stillbirth the anguish built.
Never forget the mother (and indeed the father) carried that baby for up to nine months and during that time built an emotional attachment to him/her.
They have a need of an acknowledgement of this rather than that period of their lives being a closed subject.
However because this is a very difficult subject to approach many will avoid the subject rather than giving the parents the support they need at this time.
A parent will never forget their stillborn child I have talked with 80 year old women who have explained to me how they still cry for the stillborn child they lost in their late teens.
The common factor with most people I have talked to is those who talk about their stillborn child have less pain than those who don't.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Guy, that reminds me of a story I think someone on here must have said- he made an illustrated family tree for an elderly woman that he knew and included the baby she lost. When she saw it she wept and thanked him because for so many decades she had never mentioned it after having been effectively socially forbidden from mourning him at the time.

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
I hate the way that so many people seem to not be 'allowed' to mention their stillborn children even now - yet as soon as someone mentions one in their family it's as though that ban is lifted.

My nephew was stillborn 8 years ago last Sunday (he does get mentioned within the family fairly frequently), when my daughter mentioned it at the time to her friend, her friend (who she had been friends with for about 6-7 years) then mentioned her elder brother had been stillborn.

Even these days it's not that uncommon, because of October being the month of rememberance for stillborn children there has been a lot over my facebook recently and so many of my friends have lost children, or their relatives have lost children prior to birth -