Author Topic: AncestryProGenealogists  (Read 2819 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
AncestryProGenealogists
« on: Saturday 06 October 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
I keep meaning to ask this - has anyone used, or received an estimate for the cost of using, this professional researchers service of Ancestry's?

I have a few brickwalls, including a couple which are looking insurmountable, but I'm not going to pay the earth to solve them!

I have, in the distant past, also used private researchers and those based in county archives and they never come up with the goods but merely regurgitate in a different form the facts that you've already given them! Either that, or they give you information about people with the same surname who aren't in any way relevant to the brief. So, I'm sceptical to say the least.  :-\

I'd be interested to hear people's experience of using the Ancestry service.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: AncestryProGenealogists
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 October 18 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hmm, don't know anything about Ancestry's researchers............. I'm of the opinion that you are best doing your own research.

When you think about it, what are professional researchers doing that you couldn't do for yourself?

I accept that for some people getting to Record Offices etc can be difficult due to the distance involved plus any other problem.

This is where Rootschat comes in isn't it?  It's worldwide and therefore offers people who can look things up for you as they happen to live in the right place.  ;D

Have you asked on Rootschat for help with your brickwalls in the past?

Personally I would save my money and ask the Rootschat community first.  One has to accept at times that the piece of information you are looking for just isn't there to find or has yet to be made available.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
Although I have not had need to engage a researcher myself, the usual advice is to use one accredited by the Association of Genealogists, they have to abide by a code of conduct.

https://www.agra.org.uk/membersearch
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 October 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
If you have used "those based in county archives" and they didn't find the records then ancestry.com is not going to have anything..... my suggestion is you are looking in the wrong place/county, maybe looking for 'what fits' and I say this as we are emotionally involved with our ancestors and because of that we make emotional decisions of what they would do, where they would be ( or not) I have done it mayself on a couple of brickwalls of many years.

Once broken and another researcher else did that as they clinically followed the records and didn't hold onto any emotional baggage  or 'what fitted' about the individuals.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 October 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
I assume they are on a par with plumbers. After being quoted £148 for fitting a toilet tank inlet valve, I bought a £10 adjustable spanner, £6 valve, watched YouTube, and did it myself.  'Er indoors was very impressed. She still won't find my great grandmother''s parents though!

Jill, have you fully asked here? Researchers, like consultants will borrow your watch to tell you the time.

Martin

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 October 18 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies. Loved yours, Martin.

Yes, I've asked on here for help with these brickwalls - often more than once - but they remain steadfast and insurmountable. I should imagine we've all got them!

I've been at this a good while now and think I'm pretty good at it - she said, immodestly!  :-[  Of course I prefer - probably like most of us on Rootschat - to do my own research. Its a buzz when it goes right but its awfully frustrating when it doesn't!!

The main reason I asked about the Ancestry service is because I keep getting emails from them about it. This is ever since I took their DNA test. I just thought I'd ask for other's experiences of using it but perhaps no one on here has done so.

HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 October 18 14:00 BST (UK) »
MY thoughts  ---- :)   bin the emails   :)  sales sales sales   :)

xin

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 October 18 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hello all yes i did ask them once over 1000 dollars was the answer Brexit was to blame
when i said that we had not got Brexit yet i was told it was to do with the pound against the dollar?.
So don't even bother.
I agree with some of the posts about useing  private research i have done it a couple of times
and have been very disapointed  getting info i did not ask for  such as will's i did not want, them
saying but you need them it shows relationships,all very well but then it is further research and more money on top i give up.
I will have to live with my brick walls a bit longer.
regards tobyma123. :)

James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 October 18 16:52 BST (UK) »

I will have to live with my brick walls a bit longer.
regards tobyma123. :)

I think you're absolutely right - $1000 indeed!! Not sure what that is in pounds but I was thinking £30 or so for an hour!! I really can't see what Brexit has to do with it!

I broke down a couple of huge brickwalls via DNA testing so I'll certainly stick to my own devices!!

$1000 - I don't believe it! (said in my best Victor Meldrew voice!!) :o :o

HELP!!!