Author Topic: AncestryProGenealogists  (Read 2820 times)

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: AncestryProGenealogists
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 October 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hello jillruss you could have bowled me over with a feather as the saying goes.
Rate of exchange i think they meant ,you could not make it up.
Okay for some rich person.
regards tobyma123. ::)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 October 18 17:56 BST (UK) »
I've not tried professional genealogists in the UK, but I did use a Belgian company who tracked down my Belgian great grandparents for me and gave me a lot of details and copies of certificates, as well as maps of locations and so on.

It wasn't cheap, but I've always wanted to find out about my Belgian ancestors (one half actually originated from Southern Holland), and it was really difficult given I didn't know where/how to look for the records or how to translate them when I did.

I've also found out a lot about cigar making - in Europe and the UK - as a result  :) :D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 October 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
If the Ancestry Pro's are only using the resources available to them via Ancestry, then hold onto your pennies as your research is most probably better than theirs.

I suggest that they are hoping to find people new to the hobby who may be cash rich but time poor, who want instant results, and then don't want to pick holes in it and take it as gospel.

I've seen some reports written by so called professionals who make a mistake at the first hurdle and then go off in a very costly manner, wrongly thereafter.

Sometimes we have to admit defeat as the records we may be hoping for simply do not exist or have not survived the passage of time.

However, with datsets going online all the time and gems being newly re-discovered in archives up and down the country, your brickwall may come down in the future.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 October 18 20:44 BST (UK) »
Wise words Dawnsh
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 October 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
I've never used a professional genealogist, but my adopted brother did after he was able to get hold of his original birth records and didn't know how to proceed further.  The researcher reported that the birth mother had married and emigrated to Australia in the 1940s, but that he hadn't been able get any further back than that.  Actually when my brother and I put our heads together (and with a great deal of help from RootsChat and Rootsweb  :)) we discovered that the mother had not gone to Australia, although admittedly her name was on the ship's passenger list, but had run away from her abusive husband and joined relatives in Canada.  We were able to make contact with a living relative out there, my brother was able to speak to his birth uncle, who fortunately was something of a family history buff himself, and photos and family history were emailed over.

As far as local Record Offices go, I must have been very lucky, having found Huntingdon RO really helpful and not very expensive, though this was in the days before they were swallowed up into Cambridge RO.  They have sent me Parish Register register entries and have sorted out one or two sticking points for me.  Rochdale Local Studies (Touchstones) have been equally helpful and inexpensive.

It sounds as though Ancestry have dreamed up another way of making money after the DNA palaver.  They are unlikely to have access to more information than you have already discovered for yourself.   Don't do it!   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline tobyma123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 20 October 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hello all what brilliant comments as always.
Let it be a warning to people just starting out on their family research there is a lot
of info out there on different sites, and it is free.
I have sometimes found stuff out there without the help of the pay sites.
regards tobyma123. :)
James William Chappell is now James William Grantham ,Elizebeth Hill Grantham .Lincolnshire.Mary Jane Morgan 1842 born in Overton Flintshire Wales.Ann Morgan 1831 both wives of William Morgan 1829 Worcester.John Dowley 1858 Wellington Salop.Thomas Tole or Toal Selena Mac Masters born in Scotland but lived in county Down NIreland born about 1790.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 20 October 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
I've used a Professional Genelogist twice, and paid a FHS to do research once.

First for Railway Records - it's a niche area to research, and it was well worth paying a Railways expert to search TNA for me.

Then I paid the Channel Islands FHS to do some research - again, well worth the money.

Finally, trying to get the family's Twins record accepted by Guinness World Records, It was necessary to pay a Genealogist to confirm my paperwork. Guinness like "experts" with letters after their names! ;D
(Most of you will know my story; we have 4 successive generations of twins!)

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have always had good service; and good value for money.

Nowadays I am in the opposite situation! Offering my services for research at The Manx Museum ;D
I certainly try to offer value for money ;)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
I spent 15 years trying to find my great great grandfather - with the release of the 1939 register, I am 99.9% confident that I have located him. Very common name, left South Wales and ended up in London. The single family story I was told by a distant relative has proven correct (however improbable it sounded). I am very doubtful that a professional genealogist could have located him prior to this as the only thing I had to go on was that he died in London and was buried in a paupers grave. William John Hughes from South Wales just didn't want to be found!!!!

I've spent the last few weeks writing and e-mailing random people in the hope that they are his children from his second marriage (no luck yet, but I am hopeful).

Once I confirm him, it's just his errant father that I need to find. I have a 20 year period to cover, another common name, and no idea where he died!!!

Luckily, people on here are fantastic. The service this site provides is worth so much more than any service you could pay for. I've found cousins on here simply because I've put a relatives name in the thread and they've googled the name at a later date.

It was brilliant - my cousin worked for a firm of solicitors that I used through work. I recognised her name, but couldn't place it.......until I looked at her firm's mousemat sat on my desk  :o :o :o :o
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 06:33 BST (UK) »
I agree with everyone's comments... the buzz of finding the information yourself is great and sometimes taking a leap of faith or gut reaction can turn out to be correct as only you have all the facts to hand.
 It's not possible for a hired genealogist to know everything you know about your family or make the connections with names that pop up you recognise.
Having said all that I have a Swiss great grandfather and although all those with that surname in the U.K. are relatives trying to find out about the Swiss side proved virtually impossible to research unless you knew how to uncover their systems.....
One of my cousins hired a genealogist in Switzerland to do this for us and she was able very easily to find all the information going back to the 1600's... in doing this research it turned out she was actually related to us so not only helped us but her family too...
I think my cousin got a reduced rate because of her discoveries and met her when he visited our family home in Bern.
Small world and on this occasion very useful.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK