Author Topic: Opinions Sought on Date please  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions Sought on Date please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 October 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
Is there a wreath and white lilys in photo.  Maybe taken at end of ww2

Yes there is a wreath of white lilies but not sure of the significance...peace?

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 October 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
I was at school in the 1950's and we all looked very much like that. The relaxed poses indicate a date later than the 30's so I would go for 50's or early 60's.

AJ

I don't think it's as late as that AJ...I think I can see some Knitted ties and I associate those with the 30s but I could be wrong, but thanks for your suggestion.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 October 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
I was at school in the 1950's and we all looked very much like that. The relaxed poses indicate a date later than the 30's so I would go for 50's or early 60's.

I think its very much earlier than the 1960's. I don't ever remember seeing boys in the 60's or the 50's wearing the sort of boots the boys at the right-hand end of the front row are wearing!

Yes Jen I'm inclined to agree with them not being worn in the 60s but I do remember seeing some boys wearing them in the late 50s but not necessarily the same style. One lad I knew would wear "Hob Nailed" boots to school and used to chase me, and kick me in the shins  :-\ but not sure if they were the same style as seen in the school photo.

Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 October 18 16:19 BST (UK) »
Definitely pre WW2. I can remember from late 1940s onwards  :-X

1920s here:

https://picclick.co.uk/Edwardian-1920s-era-Postcard-Group-of-school-boys-382287274976.html#&gid=1&pid=1

That's a great link Gadget but I think mine is a bit later...but not much. Thanks for your input.
Carol

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 07 October 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 October 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
I think 1920's is about right. Gadget mentioned the tie pins & although they were worn on & off over a period of time post war-1920's was the most popular.
Is there a stamp box on the back ?
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 October 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
Aw thanks Jim..that's great....I was between the two decades but wasn't sure which...the stamp box is a plain triangle.
Thanks for your help  :-*
Carol

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 October 18 18:13 BST (UK) »

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 October 18 18:17 BST (UK) »
Here's a mid-1930s in Edinburgh, Carol

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_g_0/0_groups_and_outings_bellevue_boys_1930-ish.htm#top

Gadget

Yes...you can tell the difference between this photo and mine...thanks again G.  :)

Carol