Author Topic: Help with pinning down a William MONK of Rock, Worcestershire.  (Read 2193 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with pinning down a William MONK of Rock, Worcestershire.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 October 18 08:00 BST (UK) »
Wow, thanks for doing all that searching, Eastbury! That’s amazingly helpful.  :)

So 1775 would definitely fit as my 4x great grandfather’s birthdate. He seems a little hazy on his age throughout his life, but the records would give a birthdate of c1775 - c1780.

This Edward Monk would then be a candidate for my 5x great grandfather. It would seem like there’s no clear record of Edward and Elizabeth or Edward and Mary getting married at Rock, is that correct? Perhaps they got married elsewhere?

It’s interesting to see how many Monks were in Rock during the 18th century and then how they disappear. By the time Edward Monk/Monckton moves his family out of Rock sometime post 1851, they’re all gone, he’s the last. I think the name does eventually reappear, but as a re-import many years later.

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 October 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hello
Yes you are correct there is no Edward Munk/Munks/Munck/Monk/Monks or Monck marrying Elizabeth or Mary in the Worcestershire Marriage Index book - other than the Edward from Kinlet who married Mary Harvatt in Ombersley, at the time your Edward and Elizabeth were having children in Rock.

Best Wishes
Eastbury

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 October 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hmm, interesting. I guess I'll need to look further afield then - though pre-census, who knows where they came from.  ;D

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 March 19 09:40 GMT (UK) »
So I’m resurrecting this thread because, having examined the FHS-online records from the Malvern FHS, there are some differences that could be important and I want to see if they are simply mis-transcriptions or something more substantial.

In Eastbury’s look-up, Sarah Munk’s birth in 1769 was listed as being between Edward Munk and Elizabeth. On FHS-Online, however, the birth is listed as being between Edward Munk and Mary.

If this isn’t a mistranscription, then it would be important as it would make the 1768 marriage of Edward and Mary at Ombersley a viable candidate for the marriage of my 5x great grandparents. If it is a mis-transcription then obviously FHS need to be informed.