Author Topic: Tracing American Military in UK?  (Read 405 times)

Offline Purple Badger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing American Military in UK?
« on: Sunday 07 October 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
Evening all,

My Great Grandma moved to America in 1920 to Marry an America Edward David Cassell. Family legend suggests they met while he was in the UK with the America Forces during WW1. My great grandma grew up in Norfolk so I am hoping for a Norfolk connection.

I have managed to find Edward Cassell's Veteran Compensation card which gives his Army Military Number as 713,680. He was part of the 377th Squadron. The record states that he served overseas March to December 1918. How would I find out where "overseas" he was based?

Many Thanks,

:)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing American Military in UK?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
377th Aero Squadron was indeed overseas from March 1918 to December 1918.

There is an online family history (not of your man) which has this segment:

He was .. transferred to the 377th Aero Squadron and sail from Halifax, Mar. 22nd, 1918 with the American Expeditionary Forces.  He landed in Glasgow, Scotland, April 1st, 1918.  He was stationed with the Royal Air Forces, in Ramsey, England, Lark Hill, Old Sarum and Lake Downs, on the Salisbury Plains.  He left Liverpool, Dec. 2nd, 1918, and landed at Hosoken, New Jersey, Dec. 12th., 1918
http://www.irelandindiana.com/Shiloh/documents/AdamsDillinGreenRitcheyFamilies.doc

Fold 3 has a book which might be helpful https://www.fold3.com/document/14542569/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Purple Badger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing American Military in UK?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help Shaun. :)