Author Topic: St Peters Liverpool & St Nicholas Liverpool  (Read 2176 times)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Peters Liverpool & St Nicholas Liverpool
« on: Sunday 07 October 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, another of the fine Rootschat members helped me to discover more of my ancestors; they are listed in detail with information about their date of birth, baptisms and in some cases their dates of death and burials as below.

Maria Wakefield
Born 27th December 1770, baptised 21st January 1771.

Catherine Wakefield
Born 6th May 1773, baptised 30th May 1773
Died 16th December 1792. Buried 18th December 1792.

Nancy Wakefield
Born 26th January 1776, baptised 19th 1776.
Died 1st October 1782. Buried 2nd October 1782.

Peggy Wakefield
Born 19th December 1777, baptised 11th January 1778.
Died 30th August 1782. Buried 1st September 1782.

Charlotte Wakefield 
Born 5th May 1782, baptised July 1782.

Robert Wakefield
Died 9th January 1784. Buried 10th January 1784.

These six are all siblings with their parents as follows;

John Wakefield (a Watch Case Maker)

Catherine Briscoe
Died 17th September 1782. Buried 19th September 1782.

Married at St Peters in Liverpool (do not know the year yet).

In my head this information throw up lots of questions, do gravestones still exist at this church that may give more information? Why were some of the siblings buried the day after their death? Are records of these baptisms and burials available online? Why is there no information regarding Roberts birth and baptism? And, finally when were John and Catherine married?

Any help is always really appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
Luke

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: St Peters Liverpool & St Nicholas Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 October 18 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Luke,

FreeReg has the marriage as follows:

Liverpool, St Peter, 2nd Aug 1769.

John Wakefield of Liverpool, Watch Case Maker
Catherine Briscoe Spinster of Liverpool

Witnesses:
Will Crook & Thos Vernon

Notes:
Banns read 2nd, 9th & 16th July. Bride made her mark.

Link to marriage here: https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817f94fe93790eb7ff47efd?search_id=5bba7f59f493fdbd0095e974&ucf=false

Hope this helps

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 18 07:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks DavidJP that's great stuff

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
are you saying these deaths/burials you have posted are buried in St Nicks ?...there is a Bar - Ma Boyles next to the Gardens of rememberance there which I go to and sit outside ...I am under the impression only very important people are buried in St Nicks ???..where did you get your info from ??...
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
did these 3 die of a disease ?? seem very close together - within 5 weeks of each other
Burial: ? Sep 1782 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
 Peggy Wakefield - Daughter of John Wakefield & Catherine
     Died: 30 Aug 1782
     Abode: Vernon street

Burial: 19 Sep 1782 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
 Catherine Wakefield - Wife of John Wakefield
     Died: 17 Sep 1782

Burial: ? Oct 1782 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
 Charlotte Wakefield - Daughter of John Wakefield & late Catherine
     Died: 1 Oct 1782
     Notes: [burial date obscured, between 1 and 7 October]

Burial: 10 Jan 1784 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
 Robert Wakefield - Son of John Wakefield & Catherine
     Died: 9 Jan 1784
     Abode: St Paul's Square
     John has moved from Vernon St to St Pauls Square

looks to me like John had a few bob as St Nicks were quite fussy who was buried there - People came from over the River Mersey - Birkenhead / Neston / Wallasey / Rock Ferry / Eastham - all the ferry ports to MARRY at St Nicks because it is a BIG wonderful church - a status symbol for money people - I am intrigued now - next time I go to Ma Boyles I will have a look in the Rememberance Garden for any Wakefield .. :)

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 October 18 12:23 BST (UK) »
Not sure which church your burials were in but St Peters no longer exists. There is just a brass Maltese cross in the pavement marking where it once stood. I believe that when it closed all the graves were dug up and the remains transferred to Anfield Cemetery.

St Nicholas church is in a very built up areaand if it has a graveyard, it must be very small. Burial ceremonies took place there but I don't think that is where the actual interrment took place. The following quote is from Wikipedia

In 1849 the churchyard was closed to burials. In 1891 it was transformed into a public garden in memory of James Harrison, whose shipping company had its offices facing the churchyard until the early 21st century.

No idea what happened to the remains in the graves, whether they were moved or just paved over.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 October 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your input here. All the information on these siblings came from a website called Herology which I was guided towards by another member here at rootschat. As John Wakefield had a trade it gave me four listings for, I presume, his shop. In additional information it listed the births, baptisms and burials I mentioned in the post. I haven't found a death or probate for John but perhaps his job was more sought after than I'd thought. I don't know if he continues his career beyond Roberts death and I only guessed at there being a grave stone as they had dates of death and of burial listed but I suppose that's a lot more consistent with burial records Garstonite. Thank you Garstonite, Emeltom and DavidJP you're really helping to bring this all to life again. I do wonder about the three deaths being so close but I don't know how we'd ever know for sure.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 October 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Lancs opc site. It confirms some of the details you have. By the time daughter Catherine died in 1792 John and Catherine were already deceased. I can see a death for Catherine wife of John, watchmaker in 1782 but can't find anything for John.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline gnorman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 October 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks Emeltom, its says on that record that he died in ireland and that his wife had been a widow. So he must have died before 1782