Author Topic: William higginbotham  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Diarmuidgannon1916

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William higginbotham
« on: Sunday 07 October 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my great great great grandfather william higginbotham,  his son also called william was born out of weddlock on the 22nd September 1837 , his mother name is anne maoig.?
Information is from the wexford parish records , I have searched for a marriage after 1837 but have not found a wedding cert, so I think william Jr.  was illegitimate child, it information on the father is what am looking for, so back from 1837 to 1800s , any help or ideas,  going forward from 1837 to 1900s I have all information,
Diarmuid.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William higginbotham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 18 02:18 BST (UK) »
They didn't mince words, did they, back then.
Which parish is it from? Is there a marriage register for that period for the parish? What about neighbouring parishes? How many years after birth did you search?
What religious denomination?
Civil registration of marriages began for Church of Ireland in 1845 and Catholics 1864. Before those dates any marriage record, if there was a marriage, would have been in parish marriage register. Church marriage register may not have survived. Many C. of I. registers were destroyed in Dublin during Irish Civil War.
I don't see place of abode for bridegroom, unless it was same as bride (?). Was place of abode given for other fathers? Were occupations of fathers stated? If he was the only one on the page with no place of residence given I suspect he wasn't present at the ceremony and none of the baptismal party knew where he hailed from. He may not have been around when the baby was born.
Surname strikes me as English, although there are Irish Higgins. Look at Griffiths' Valuation, Tithe Applottments register, local directory and any other records around the time which contain people's  names in the area to see if a Higginbothom was settled there.
Father might have been a soldier or sailor. Child's birth and parents' marriage might be in Overseas Registers.

Edit. Was Mary Farrell godmother? From what I can see other children had 2 godparents/sponsors. Only 1 sponsor is necessary at a Catholic baptism but most parents select 2, one of each gender and often one from each side of family. I've noticed a single sponsor, usually female, at other baptisms of illegitimate babies in 19thC. In this case it could be another possible indicator that no one from the father's family was present. If this was a Catholic baptism, it may have been that William Higginbotham, the father, wasn't Catholic. 
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 18 02:36 BST (UK) »
If the child survived to adulthood, search for civil registration of a marriage for him to see what information he gave regarding his father.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 18 03:32 BST (UK) »
Several Higginbotham entries on Griffiths' Valuation including 2 for a William. Several entries for Richard Higginbotham, landlord. Some Higginbotham holdings were substantial.

Tithe Applottments. Richard Higginbotham was a Commissioner. Apart from him there was only 1 Higginbotham name listed for Wexford.

Do you have William junior's marriage?
Cowban

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 18 08:55 BST (UK) »
William higginbotham Jr was married 7th June 1862 to Sarah dempsey,

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 October 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
Their marriage was pre civil registration so no information on father.
Many other bridegrooms have comments written in notes margin in parish register but not William, unfortunately. Several militia members among them and a few sailors. One margin note says "Returned from N.S. Wales".
Do you know who the witnesses, surname Flood (?) were?

Did William jnr.  live in Wexford Town?
Do you know if he had siblings?

A few more thoughts on possible marriage of William's parents:
Baby William's surname in church register was Higginbotham. Presumably his mother expected/hoped  to marry his father.
If William senior was a soldier or sailor he may have been away for years, delaying a marriage.
If William snr. was Church of Ireland then a marriage might have been in C. of I. to ensure it was legal.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 October 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace my great great great grandfather william higginbotham,  his son also called william was born out of weddlock on the 22nd September 1837 , his mother name is anne maoig.?
Information is from the wexford parish records

Best I can do with Anne's surname is Ma... and last letter is g or y.
Cowban

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 October 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
Macoy ?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 October 18 17:09 BST (UK) »
William higginbotham Jr lived in trimmers Lane,  John Street, selskar st ,enniscorthy,  when he married in 1862 , the name  flood may have been a person the mother or father knew so I would say that flood lived in enniscorthy or , where I got william Jr  parish record for his baptismal ,(baptismal , parish records wexford,) don't,  know if there were siblings, I only know william Jr ,children and wife , I know william Jr was married in a Catholic Church,  he was Catholic,  but that doesn't mean his father was , maiden-stone
Diarmuid.