Author Topic: Robert James Neill  (Read 1433 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert James Neill
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 October 18 09:07 BST (UK) »
I looked on Google maps and found that although the street still existed number 114 did not and it looked like the whole area had been rebuilt fairly recently. Does anyone know about the history of this location? was it subject to some sort of slum clearance in the past?
Large portions of Belfast were rebuilt after the Blitz. https://www.ww2ni.com/belfastblitzthennow.htm

Added- 114 Lindsay St. mentioned in newspaper advert in 1946 so perhaps just run-down section of Belfast that was redeveloped sometime after WWII.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 October 18 09:19 BST (UK) »
Family in 1901 (found using address from Ralph's birth)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Cromac/Powerscourt_Street/970868

Ralph born 1901 at 17 Powersourt St.- LINK
Mary Agnes born 1903 at 17 McClure St.- LINK
Margaret born 1908 at 17 McClure St.- LINK
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 October 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
Oops, wrong post.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 October 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
Family in 1901 (found using address from Ralph's birth)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Cromac/Powerscourt_Street/970868

Ralph born 1901 at 17 Powersourt St.- LINK
Mary Agnes born 1903 at 17 McClure St.- LINK

Margaret born 1908 at 17 McClure St.- LINK

The above Mary died in May 1905.

An Irish born family with parents James and Agnes Neill and children James Neill b1899 and Ralph Neill
b1901, were in Calgary, Canada at 1911 (Emigrated 1908, including at time an infant daughter, name not recorded, in addition to the parents and sons):

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/jpg/e011070010.jpg

For further checking: A 1901 born Ralph Neill , died Calgary 1957  https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/139374000
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 October 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone - a bit of a development recently. I remembered from experience that a great-great grandmother of mine caused a few problems during my genealogical research. She was baptized Annie Amelia at Radstock in 1876, appeared as Emily Amelia on an 1881 census return before moving to and marrying my great-great grandfather in South Wales in 1897. By this time, she was simply known as Amelia and this name appeared on all the official records from thereon. With this in mind, I revisited the government-supported Irish Genealogy website and searched for any male with the surname Neill born in Ireland in 1899. As you can imagine, this pulled up quite a long list of potential candidates but just one person stood out. This was a James Neill born on the 14th of August (bearing in mind that my great-grandfather apparently had three dates of birth, including this one, on his works pension records!) at 114 Lindsay Street, Belfast, Antrim. His parents were James and Agnes (nee McCartney). I looked on Google maps and found that although the street still existed number 114 did not and it looked like the whole area had been rebuilt fairly recently. Does anyone know about the history of this location? was it subject to some sort of slum clearance in the past? The next step is to see if I can find out more about his parents!

I thought Robert James father was John, not James?
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)