Author Topic: Rochester Consistory Court - will of Edward ACWORTH 1775  (Read 760 times)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rochester Consistory Court - will of Edward ACWORTH 1775
« on: Tuesday 09 October 18 00:23 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the will of Edward ACWORTH, gentleman of Chatham, which was proved in the Rochester Consistory Court in Sept 1775 (reference DRb/Pw 60).  I believe he is the man buried at Chatham 21 Aug 1775.  I am interested in the names and relationships of anyone mentioned in the will.

The will does not appear in indexes for the Archdeaconry Court of Rochester, nor could I find it in the copies of wills for 1775 for the Archdeaconry Court that are viewable on familysearch.org.  There does not seem to be an option to look at the Consistory Court.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there some other avenue to find the will online?  If not, does anyone know which repository may contain the will (one guide says at Maidstone), and is anyone able to visit it and extract some information for me?

Any help much appreciated.

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rochester Consistory Court - will of Edward ACWORTH 1775 - COMPLETED
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 October 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
I have found the will on familysearch - Rochester Consistory Court wills are catalogued under "Kent - Probate" rather than "Rochester - Probate"

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rochester Consistory Court - will of Edward ACWORTH 1775
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 October 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this?

https://archive.org/stream/miscellaneagenea1190bann/miscellaneagenea1190bann_djvu.txt

It mentions Edward's ancestors and descendants. THE OCR isn't brilliant sadly.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
COMPLETED Re: Rochester Consistory Court - will of Edward ACWORTH 1775
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 September 19 03:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much bearkat, I had not seen this.  Apologies for the very late response - for some reason I have only just seen your post.

If you click on "other formats" at the top of the OCR you can see the digital scan of the original book.  Interesting to see that the author has not realised that the two daughters he describes are Edward's step-daughters not his own.