Author Topic: The Coady's as an off shoot of McCarroll's  (Read 3363 times)

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Coady's as an off shoot of McCarroll's
« on: Tuesday 09 October 18 01:01 BST (UK) »
I started a thread that covered two female members of the Carroll (McCarroll) family from County Tyrone.  It has become quite clear that the Ellen McCarroll's marriage to Andrew Bogan has clearly had its way on these boards. So it was time to split the beginning and create one for the Coady's.

Catherine McCarroll (known as Kitty) married a Coady and that group became very extensive.  The Coady's moved as far away from County Tyrone to Irishtown in Dublin, and even into France. But some stayed in in the Omagh area. Others traveled to Belfast.

At one time I had the good experience of visiting with some of the Coady family, and even had morning breakfast tea with Kitty in her home in Dublin. In fact I think we had a couple of times over tea - but that was a long time ago.

From this grocers in Dublin they spread far an wide and I lost track of many of them. Mary moved to France.  But the twins stayed in the Dublin area.  I think that there were 7 offspring and possibly two have survived and have made inroads to another generation.

The Coady's in Omagh survived the terrible slaughter on that fateful day and I wonder just how Charles made it. I hope that we can recall all of those days and join in assisting in bringing new light to the Coady name.
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The Coady's as an off shoot of McCarroll's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
Previous topic- http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=801580

Up until at least recently some of the children of Catherine Bogan & Patrick Coady were still alive and we can't post details of living people.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 11:03 BST (UK) »
Death Notices (Dublin)

COADY (née Foley), Hannah (Josie)     Dublin     03/12/07

COADY (née Murphy), Patricia Finglas West     Dublin     14/08/09

COADY, Sr. Eileen Dublin 8     Dublin     01/09/18

COADY, Clive   Shankill     Dublin     09/02/13

COADY, Sr. Oliver   Clondalkin     Dublin     20/05/07

COADY, Donal   Navan Road     Dublin     19/03/09

COADY (née Smyth), Bridie   Santry     Dublin     22/01/12

Coady, Derek        Dublin     03/07/13

Coady, Joe Darndale     Dublin     23/04/17

COADY (née Dunne), Christina (Phyllis) South Circular Road     Dublin     07/11/08

COADY, John (Jock) Deansgrange     Dublin     22/01/09

Coady (née O'Boyle), Betty (Elizabeth) Skerries     Dublin     14/07/16

COADY, Patricia (Patsy)   Phibsboro     Dublin     09/06/08

COADY (née Inight), Olive Drimnagh     Dublin     29/06/16

Coady (née O'Boyle), Betty (Elizabeth) Malahide     Dublin     14/07/16

COADY, Patricia (Paddy) Sandymount     Dublin     06/09/13

COADY, Joseph (Joe) Dublin 8     Dublin     06/07/11

COADY (née Davis), Elizabeth (Lily) Dublin 7     Dublin     27/10/11
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey - You will note that in posting about the living children of Catherine there was no attempt to post "details."  While I may have referenced someone's move to France the details were not divulged.  Also, I did say that some had passed away and a few were still using their walkers, or canes like myself, and that these souls were in retirement or a still practicing solicitor - but no details that would identify them.

You may recall about ten years ago that it was a Coady that responded, for the first time, and you noted this stricture and told him or her to her/his conversation on a private basis.

I have kept you admonition to heart and have attempted to make my posting very general in nature. 

I have stated that Catherine McCarroll was the matriarch of this minor sept, but have not given any other details.  That is not because she is still alive, but for Tyrone there is no record of this individual.  In fact, regarding the census there is only one instance reported for County Tyrone.

Do you happen to have in your bag of tricks something on the line as with Andrew and Ellen?

I am beginning to wonder about my previous posting regarding mores and the females of the Carroll clan.  I know you recall Agnes Bridget Gaffigan who came over the seas to marry Michael, and I said that was something different.  But here we have two, and maybe three, females that did not tie their strings in County Tyrone.

jjc
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you Hallmark - Very interesting that you might have looked up these death notices.  But I do not see any Catherine's there, and one must keep in mind that she began as a McCarroll. And these Carroll's were located at that time that these death notices took place in and around County Tyrone.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
Why talk about Coadys in Dublin then??

At one time you had the good experience of visiting with some of the Coady family, and even had morning breakfast tea with Kitty in her home in Dublin. In fact I think we had a couple of times over tea - but that was a long time ago.

From this grocers in Dublin they spread far an wide
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
On the Dublin theme......

July 23rd 1959, Dublin Evening Mail :

.   COADY (Dublin)— July 22, 1959. at Our Lady's Hospice. Harolds Cross. Patrick J.. beloved husband of Catherine Coady. 30 Irlshtown Road; deeply regretted by sorrowing wife, sons, daughter, brothers, relatives and mends. R I P. 

Estate Notice : April 11th 1987 edition of  the Evening Herald (Dublin):

.   Mrs. Catherine Coady, widow. Bath Street, Irishtown. Dublin £145,438.     
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
I would like to thank scotmum for her enlightened input. 

This does help in that although I knew Kitty lived in Irishtown, without the knowledge of the "Bath Street" there would be no way for us to look for her death notice.  While this does not give an address it favors some address to which further research may take place.  The date was important (1987) in that without it there was nothing to surmise where or when she was alive.

Significantly, it does not go to her origins.  We still don't know just where she got married, or when.  And when did she move to the Bath Street address.

It may open some avenues to address, such as those Coady's birth or baptism (as I recall, there were seven children).

But it could not even begin without the input of scotmum.  Thank you.

jjc

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
Confusing, though, as in opening post here you say:

.   Catherine McCarroll (known as Kitty) married a Coady 

yet on the other thread you said:

. Catherine Bogan (Kitty) the fifth child, relocated to Dublin.  She was married to a Coady

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .