Author Topic: Lincolnshire Will's  (Read 1994 times)

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lincolnshire Will's
« on: Tuesday 09 October 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know this is a long shot but is anyone able to look at Will's. I'm looking for a Will of William Chafer who was buried 19 Nov 1809 Burton on Stather, according to Lincs to the past web site there is a Will of a William Chafer 1809 would just like to know who is mentioned in the Will.

Edit: Here's what it says on the lincs to the past site:

Reference Name STOW WILLS/1809-10/31
Name: Chafer, William

Profession: Farmer

Place: Winterton, Lincolnshire

Repository: Lincolnshire Archives [057]

Thank you for any help given on this

NG1
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Lincolnshire Will's
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, Lincolnshire Wills aren't on line.  You will have to apply to Lincolnshire Archives for a copy, you can find the forms on line on the Lincolnshire County Council website and also the fees charged.

www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/lincolnshire-archives/archives-resources/order-copies-of-documents/128225.article

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 10:37 BST (UK) »
Not sure if you have these extra details?
William CHAFER buried 19 Nov 1809
Abode Norland House
Occp Farmer
Died of Dropsy
Age 67
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi LizzieW,

Thank you but I do know all that I was hoping some one was going to Lincoln Archives and could have had a look at the Will, maybe I worded my thread wrong, never mind.

Hi Trish,

Good to hear from you hope you are keeping well. Yes I have that burial and as I can find no other William Chafer buried the same year was hoping the Will was his and to see if he mentioned a daughter Hannah Stark.  Also  cannot find anything on Norland House.

All the best

NG
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
I was hoping some one was going to Lincoln Archives and could have had a look at the Will

OK, don't know how easy that is at Lincoln, I know things aren't as accessible as other archives.

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
It's easy at the Lincoln Archives, make an advance booking and once confirmed you can ask them to have up to 3 documents ready for you on arrival.

From memory you can order 3 every 30 minutes which will or should be delivered within another 30 minutes.

I have never had a problem with this area.

Sadly I am not going there in the foreseeable future

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 18:14 BST (UK) »
hi Lizzie,

Thank you for your help anyway.

Thank you Edward that's good info to know, I'll have to wait until there is more I need from Lincoln Archives that's not on internet and try and go there next year.

All the best to you all.

NG

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
It's easy at the Lincoln Archives, make an advance booking and once confirmed you can ask them to have up to 3 documents ready for you on arrival.

From memory you can order 3 every 30 minutes which will or should be delivered within another 30 minutes.

That's what I meant by not as easy as other archives.  Mind you I've only been to two, Barrow in Furness and Hampshire County Council in Winchester.  In both of those you just turn up and if you know your way around you do your own searching, if not if you ask a member of staff they'll either point you in the right direction or just go and get what you want.  No hanging around, no need to book in advance.  I was amazed that you had to book, and when I found out when we went to Lincolnshire a few years ago, they didn't have any free slots as we hadn't booked well in advance. 

Hopefully, things are better now.

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 19:30 BST (UK) »
hi All,

Thank you all for the info, After further looking into William Chafer and his children I now know that the one who died in 1809 is NOT the William I'm looking for, the one I'm looking for actually died in 1835 and on some of his children's christening's he was down as a Weaver and doesn't look like he left a Will.

Again Thank you for trying to help.

NG