Author Topic: Michael Loughrey c1820  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael Loughrey c1820
« on: Tuesday 09 October 18 22:17 BST (UK) »
I'm researching my maternal grandfather John Richard Loughrey's ancestry and have come unstuck with his Great Grandfather Michael Loughrey.
My grandfathers dad was James Augustine Loughrey born in Bangor 1882 and married to Kathleen Hunt.
His Grandfather was James Loughrey born c1851, married to Mary Jane McMullan (she was from Belfast, but I'm stuck there, I think her father was Joseph and her mother was Ann Jane Gourley), they had a greengrocers on Main street Bangor.
His Great Grandfather was Michael Loughrey who was married to Rose Fagan at Kirkinriola, Down and Connor on 30th April 1842?? lived at 7 Ballynagee street, Bangor in 1864
Any assistance in discovering more about that side of my family would be greatly appreciated.
Richard McGrorey
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Loughrey c1820
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 00:03 BST (UK) »

His Great Grandfather was Michael Loughrey who was married to Rose Fagan at Kirkinriola, Down and Connor on 30th April 1842?? lived at 7 Ballynagee street, Bangor.
Any assistance in discovering more about that side of my family would be greatly appreciated.
Richard McGrorey

Kirkinriola is the parish around Ballymena, Co. Antrim. Unfortunately their RC records don't start till 1848.
Elwyn

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
Oh, Thank you.
Does that mean I won't be able to track them any farther back or is there a chance there could be records from other areas with them moving to Bangor?
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
James Loughrey’s 1882 birth certificate gives his mother’s maiden name as McMillan. I looked for the McMillan- Loughrey marriage but couldn’t see it in the statutory records.

I assume this is the family in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Bangor/Bridge_Street/1252471/

and 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Bangor/Bridge_Street/260936/

Note 12 children born, 9 alive in 1911. Parents married 36 years so around 1875.

Bangor is in the RC parish of Newtownards. Their baptisms only start in 1864, so you may struggle to get back much further with them.
Elwyn

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:55 BST (UK) »
Michael and Jane married St. Peters Catholic church Belfast 15th november 1874 (gives parents names)

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 18 09:38 BST (UK) »
Yes Elwyn that's them in 1901 and 1911 thank you.

Athacliath62 thank you, I can't make out where Jane and her parents are from in the record, can you?
Is that a street in Belfast?

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 October 18 09:58 BST (UK) »
the address for Jane looks like Townsend Street to me - cant make out the address for her parents at the moment

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 October 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
Is it just me or does her parents surname look totally different? and is one of the witness's a John Loughrey?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 October 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Is it just me or does her parents surname look totally different? and is one of the witness's a John Loughrey?

I see a marriage for a James Loughrey of Bangor to a Jane (bottom of page) but can't see marriage for Michael & Jane McMullan[?] (yes, her parents' surname does look a bit different) :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!