Author Topic: Will of Isabelle Aylmer 1464, Wife of John Aylmer  (Read 477 times)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of Isabelle Aylmer 1464, Wife of John Aylmer
« on: Tuesday 09 October 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
In our search through Aylmer wills we have now reached the one of the will of Isabelle Aylmer 1464, wife of John Aylmer :)

I am not sure if she is connected to our Aylmers, as she resided in Bristol,  some distance from Norwich, but as it is a very short will, I thought it was worth at least checking out. Besides, it is fun going this far back! :) One so rarely get the opportunity to.

Briston in Norfolk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Briston

The full will can be found here:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSND-NYDH?i=444&cat=278818

Thank you so much in advance! :) :) :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Isabelle Aylmer 1464, Wife of John Aylmer
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
Snippet #1

[in the margin] Test(amentu)m Joh(ann)is Aylemer
Grat(is)

In dei nomine Amen  Ego Issabella ux(or) Joh(ann)is Aylemer de Briston compos

ment(is) & sane memorie existens apud Bryston p(re)d(i)c(t)am viijo die ffebruarij

Anno D(omi)ni mill(es)imo ccccmo lxiijo condo testamentum meu(m) in hunc modum  In p(ri)mis

lego a(n)i(m)am meam dei omnipotenti b(ea)te marie virginis & omnibus s(an)c(t)is corpus

q(ue) meum ad sepeliend(um) in Cimit(er)io eccl(es)ie Om(n)iu(m) S(an)c(t)or(um) de Bryston p(re)d(i)c(t)a ad

cui(us) summ(o) altar(i) lego vj d  It(em) lego rep(ar)ac(i)on(i) eiusd(e)m eccl(es)ie ij d  It(e)m ...

Will, by the grace of John Aylmer*
I, Isabel, the wife of John Aylmer of Briston, being of sound mind and memory, on the 8th day of February in the year of the Lord one thousand four hundred and sixty-three** at Briston, do make my will in this manner. First I bequeath my soul to Almighty God, the Blessed Virgin Mary and all the saints, and my body to be buried in the graveyard of the church of All Saints at Briston aforesaid, to the high altar of which I leave six pence. Item I bequeath to the reparation of the same church, two pence. Item ...

=====
* a married woman needed her husband’s consent to make a will
** 8 February 1464 in the modern calendar

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:34 BST (UK) »
Snippet #2

... lumini s(anc)te margarete ib(ide)m ij d  It(e)m lego Thome filio meo iiij plateres

de pewtr(ei) & unu(m) Blak chyst  Residuu(m) vero omnium bonor(um) meor(um) non

legator(um) do & lego disposic(i)o(n)i Joh(ann)is mariti mei ut disponat p(ro) anima

mea p(ro)ut sibi melius viderit deo co(m)placere & a(n)i(m)e mee p(ro)desse huius

autem test(ament)i mei executorem Joh(ann)em maritu(m) meu(m) ordino & constituto

p(er) p(resen)tes  In cuius rei testi(m)oni(um) sigillu(m) meu(m) apposui  Dat(um) die & loco &

Anno d(omi)ni suprad(i)c(t)is

... to the light of St Margaret there, two pence. Item I bequeath to Thomas my son, 4 pewter platters and one black chest. The rest of all my goods not bequeathed I give and bequeath to the disposition of my husband John, that he should dispose (of them) for the benefit of my soul, just as will seem best to him for pleasing God and for advancing my soul. Moreover, by these presents I ordain and constitute my husband John the executor of this my will; in witness of which I have affixed my seal. Given on the day and in the place and year of the Lord aforesaid.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
I've just quickly done the probate clause for you, as I may not have time later.

=====

Probatum &c & p(er) nos app(ro)batu(m) &c ultimo die men(sis) Junij Anno

d(omi)ni mill(es)imo ccccmo lxiiijto  Et co(mmissa) fuit adm(in)istracio &c Joh(ann)i Aylemer

execut(ori) in d(i)c(t)o test(ament)o no(m)i(n)ato grat(is) ad nos venien(ti) in forma iuris
iurat(o) 

In cui(us) rei testi(m)oni(um) &c.

Proved etc., and approved by us etc., on the last day of the month of June in the year of the Lord one thousand four hundred and sixty-four, and administration etc. was granted to John Aylmer, the executor named in the said will by consent, on his coming before us, having been sworn in form of law; in witness of which, etc.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
Oh, that is really extraordinarily kind!

Thank you so much, Bookbox!!! :) :D :)

There is something really so ... extraordinarily touching about this will.

You know, researching this stuff, you become so inured against it that it's not often that you find yourself with a lump in your throat.

But I noticed, that after reading this, I had to blink a couple of times quickly, extra hard.

It could well be my lively imagination, but the entire scene stood so clearly before my inner eye.

The young mother (she sounded very young), the little child, the few goods she had distribute, how she and her husband probably came up with this as something fun to do while waiting for the inevitable ... Well, you know, not fun-fun, but ... For a woman who probably hadn't had that much influence or been able to take that many decisions. And was very young. And they come up with this as something to do to lighten some of her last days ... And probably also to give her a feeling of some measure of control in a situation nobody has controll over.

And then to actually go to the court to have it proven, when it must have been so much easier not to, and really, so very unnecessary to do so.

He had to give her permission to write it, he is named executor, he is the main beneficiary ...

And still he went to all that trouble to have it proved.

He must have loved her very much, I think.

And the court that granted it.

You know, there is this pervasive notion in society at large (or at least by some very carrying voices) that kindness and compassion are these wishy-washy modern concepts that needs to be rooted out so that we, I don't know, may return to the wild and hunt each other for sport or something the way it was meant to be. But there have always been people who were capable of extraordinary kindnesses. As well as the opposite.

Even if these turn out not to be our Aylmers I am still so glad we decided to have a look at it :)

Thank you so much, Bookbox!!! This was utterly wonderful :) :) :) I really can't thank you enough!