Author Topic: Some Census entries from 1841 (Rock, Worcestershire)  (Read 717 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Some Census entries from 1841 (Rock, Worcestershire)
« on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hey all,

So there's a couple of census entries from 1841 that I could use a hand in deciphering. They are both from people I suspect to be relatives of my ancestors, but I want to be sure.

They're listed in the returns for Rock, Worcestershire. I believe they're 'James Monk, 45, Labourer' and 'Mary Monk, 50, - ' respectively.

For comparison I've also attached the entry for William Monk, who I believe is my 4x great-grandfather. He was also in Rock but a different district, so the handwriting is a little clearer!

Please let me know what you think!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Some Census entries from 1841 (Rock, Worcestershire)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
James may be Moh or Mok - Mary looks a bit like Mok but there appears to be a 'pause' in between the o and the k.

I agree with the rest of your interpretation.

If you are unsure, have you looked for the surname Moh and Mok (without forenames) in the 41 and possibly the 51 as well. I doubt that they proper surnames, so if none show up it seems logical for the surnames to be a scrawled Monk.

Added: If you hadn't said that the first two surnames were Monk, and provided the last one for comparison, I'm not sure I would have interpreted them as Monk.  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
I would agree with that.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies!

So I did a search for 'Moh' and it does return some hits - there's a number of them in the '41 census, but they all seem to be from the same place (Marlborough, Devon) and the handwriting is very squashed so it may be a mis-transcription. I only found two hits on ancestry for Moh in the '51. If it's a real surname then it would seem to be *very* niche.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
Looking again .... maybe Mary is Mary Mole?

Check for other examples of e at the end of words on the same census page?  :-\

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 14:06 BST (UK) »
I agree with Ruskie.
Mary is Mary Mole.
FindMyPast has transcribed both the entries for James and Mary as Mole.

Added: James Mole married Mary Edwards 22 March 1822 at Ribbesford, Worcestershire. Source: Family Search. Rock and Ribbesford are quite close.

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
Aha, that makes a lot of sense! I've literally just been doing some digging in that part of the family tree, and was beginning to wonder if my interpretation was shakier than I'd previously thought.

So poor old William Monk is living alone at the age of 65 while all of his sons have fled up to Staffordshire (and collectively changed their surnames to Monckton, to boot!). Still haven't got to the bottom of that particular mystery.

While I'm here, can anyone read what this name and profession is, written down in the '41 census for Willenhall, Staffordshire? I believe there's a slim possibility that this is another of William Monk's sons, Joseph - going as Joseph Monkton.

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
The name is Joseph Monton.
The Occupation is J(ourneyman) Case M(aker).
Willenhall was, and still is, a centre of lock making. Entries on other pages mention key makers, rim lock makers, pad lock makers, etc.

1851 England Census shows a Joseph Manton who is a Journeyman Locksmith living in George Street, Walsall Borough; who is probably the Joseph Monton from the 1841 England Census.

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
Ah, so that discounts this person from being a relative - I guess I'm then looking for a death certificate for Joseph Monkton - yet another task for the list!  ;D

Thanks again for the help, I love all the little bits and pieces of local social history you pick up while doing your family tree!