Author Topic: Albert Sparkes 1877-1879 South Africa Zulu Wars  (Read 1500 times)

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Sparkes 1877-1879 South Africa Zulu Wars
« on: Wednesday 10 October 18 17:27 BST (UK) »
Albert was a drummer in the 2/21st Royal Scots Fusiliers in this period and was awarded the 1879 South African medal  for his part there.  This was the period of Rorke's Drift as portrayed in the film Zulu.

Clip Albert-1 shows the whole double page entry, he's the one at the bottom, and clip Albert-2 shows the part of the entry I'm trying to decipher.

He was present in the war against the Zulus in 1879 and also engaged against ? which I can't decipher.

I've looked at all the battles that occurred against the Zulu nation but none have a name anything like that in the entry and I haven't found a Zulu army leader of that name so far. 

The battles were in chronological order, all 1897:
Inzame River 22 Jan
Isandlwana 22 Jan
Rorke's Drift 22/23 Jan
Siege of Eshowa 23 Jan onwards
Intombe 12 Mar
Hlobane 28 Mar
Kambula 29 Mar
Gingindlova 02 Apr
Ulundi 04 Jun

The name seems to start Seh or k u

Any ideas please.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Sparkes 1877-1879 South Africa Zulu Wars
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 17:40 BST (UK) »
Your images haven't been posted but I think it will be Sekhukhune.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_Medal_(1880)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaun you beat me to it, yes it's Sekhukhune.

This was an area that had been ruled by the Pedi who were fought by the Boers in 1876 and then by the British in 1879.

Looking at maps showing the various areas of South Africa, Sekhukhuneland seems a long way north of Zululand so no easy journey.  I can't find a date for the British action against Sekhukhone, presumably some time after the final battle with the Zulu when their chief Cetshwayo was captured.

Any help with dates for this action?

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
From that Wikipedia article ( the link for which doesn't seem to work properly)

Once the Gaika-Gcaleka War was settled, those forces not embroiled in the developing conflict in Zululand were employed against a Basuto tribe in the northern Transvaal, the Bapedi of Chief Sekhukhune, whose raids had begun to affect tribes under British protection. After an initial sally against his fortress at Thaba Ya Leolo in late 1878 had proved ineffective, a larger force overran his fortress in November 1879. The defenders of the fortress were killed almost to a man, largely by African soldiery.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 October 18 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun, I'd looked on the Internet but didn't spot the info you found.

That gives me dates for where Albert was in South Africa.

He was born in 1858 in Reading so 21 during the Zulu wars and the war against Sekhukhone but why in the Royal Scots Fusiliers where he'd have had to wear a kilt and a drummer which, perhaps wrongly, I thought were usually younger lads.

I've also been looking for any info regarding Albert's enlistment and his discharge but it seems scarce, I know where he was in 1871 and 1891 from the censuses but he's missing in 1881 so presumably still in the army somewhere.  He married in Q2 1890 so must have been around Reading for a while prior to that especially as his bride came from a village some miles from Reading

He's not an ancestor of mine, he's the father of my favourite uncle who married my father's eldest sister but I do have his 1879 South Africa medal and I'm trying to find out as much about him as I can.  My uncle and aunt had one child, a son, but he died without children and it's been left to two cousins to sort out the estate and they gave me my uncle's and Albert's medals.  My uncle fought in the Crimea, was shot through the neck, twice on ships that were torpedoed and his latter career was the highly dangerous one of checking munitions stored in an ordnance depot, some of which were WW1 16" naval shells and the cordite charges that propelled them, making sure none were 'sweating' which could have led to a catastrophic explosion.  I want to record their lives as it seems a shame that their stories are forgotten.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 October 18 03:58 BST (UK) »
If this is the same one, he was still alive when the 1939 Register was taken. He was born 21 Dec 1857  and was resident with his wife, Rhoda, at what looks like 4 St John's Hill, Reading; a retired transfer porter. A middle initial "E" has been added to his name. Rhoda is shown as born 30 May 1864. It seems he died in 1944 aged 86, in the District of Reading. His name in the Death Register includes the middle initial "E". The 2/21st Royal Scots Fusiliers were awarded 862 medals with clasp "1879" and 153 no clasp medals. I didn't find your man's military records on Ancestry.com nor on FindMyPast nor National Archives. Perhaps his name has been mis-transcribed. Perhaps you need to get in touch with the National Archives at Kew to see if they can help but usually they require you to engage a private researcher to check for records. There are plenty about.
BTW, what is his regimental service number on  the medal ?

francoso

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 October 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
The medal roll listing is for Albert Sparks 61B/291

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 October 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
He was registered Albert Ernest Sparkes at birth but seems to have regularly dropped the middle name and even the initial.

I couldn't find his military records either, Sparkes is often shortened to Sparks but neither gave any results.

As he's not an ancestor I'm not going to go to the expense of hiring a researcher, I'll document what we've found and put that in a folder along with both Albert's South Africa medal and those of his son, my uncle.

I might try and trace any other descendants of Albert, he had a daughter and another son and I know my cousin knows something about them.  They might be interested to have the medal and know of his 'exploits'.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 October 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
I could only find him on the Roll of the South Africa 1877-1879 with medal and clasp 1879 as Albert Sparks, Regt. No. as you mentioned.
Under reforms the regiment became The Royal Scots Fusiliers on 1 July 1881. It became the County Regiment of Ayrshire, Dumfriesshire, Kirkcudbrightshire, Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire and Wigtownshire in South-West Scotland. This made them a Lowland Regiment and forced them to adopt trews. The regiment saw action at the Battle of the Tugela Heights in February 1900 during the Second Boer War. If he was in the 2nd Boer War he would probably have a different regimental Number.