Author Topic: Transfer from Navy to Army WW1?  (Read 1296 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Transfer from Navy to Army WW1?
« on: Wednesday 10 October 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I’m somewhat confused. I’ve come across a Navy list on Ancestry. It lists an Alexander George McGregor with a ‘date of seniority’ as the 10th of February 1915. If this is my man, this would have been his 20th birthday, having been born on that date in 1895. He did serve in the Army in 1916 through to at least 1918. Did people transfer between the Armed Forces? And does anyone understand what this list is? This is confusing information, and I think it must be another man and a total coincidence.

I’d appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer from Navy to Army WW1?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 18:46 BST (UK) »
The Navy Lists are the regular publications of Royal Navy and ,RNR RNVR officers. He will appear in a  column with a rank above it. The seniority relates to his seniority in that rank. Do you have records for your army man?
MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 18:52 BST (UK) »
Yes, many army records. I’ve set up quite a few threads for him. I think this is most likely a coincidence as there are Merchant Navy records from 1909 and 1912 for an Alexander George McGregor born in 1888 and hailing from Aberdeen, who is probably this fellow.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 October 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
Many MN seamen became RNR at the outbreak of war so coincidence is likely.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 October 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
Did he hold an army rank?
There were more naval reservists than required at sea and they were formed into infantry batallions.

I don't know much about them but I believe that they retained their naval ranks.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 October 18 10:57 BST (UK) »
He was a private in the Army although listed as a lance corporal on the casualty list. I believe this was either an error or he had been an acting lance corporal prior to his injury.

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 October 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
Alexander George McGregor who was a tempy Sub-Lieut (10.2.15) RNR was ordered to be discharged from the RNR - commission cancelled 8.6.1915.

For Peter - you are talking about the Royal Naval Division.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 October 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
So this man left the Navy in June 1915?

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 October 18 14:57 BST (UK) »
His commission was cancelled on that date so he would no longer hold an officer's rank in the R.N.R.
I am not sure what happened after that date.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO