Author Topic: James [?] in the 1841 Census for Pattingham  (Read 501 times)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James [?] in the 1841 Census for Pattingham
« on: Wednesday 10 October 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Hey all,

I'm trying to decipher a name in the 1841 census return, a James 'M_____'. He's aged 45 and is living with his wife sarah and a 2-year old child I'm sure is 'Thomas Munckton' overleaf, yet I don't think that's James' surname, despite the shared letter.

I would guess maybe 'Manfield'? That's a stab in the dark, however.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James [?] in the 1841 Census for Pattingham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
Possibly Mansfield???
and there is a mark after Sarah indicating Thomas Monkton age 2 was not part of the family -maybe a foster child?

1851 shows Thomas Monkton age 12 b Pattingham described as son in law with George Hamlett Ann Hamlett (his wife) and Mary Ann Hamlett (daughter)

there is a marriage reg Jun qtr 1841 on same page George Hamlett Anne Monkton

there is a baptism Thomas Monkton19 Mar 1839 Pattingham -parents Joseph Monkton and Ann

If you could find the marriage of Joseph Monkton and Ann then maybe Anne's maiden name was Mansfield ? and Thomas was with his Grandparents in 1841 -just a guess

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 18:57 BST (UK) »
There is a James and Sarah Macefield of the correct age in Pattingham in the 1851 census.
Is the 1841 Masefield?

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 19:17 BST (UK) »
I suppose it is possible,even if the above are what is written,both may be mistranscriptions of a spoken Mansfield.

Regards
Roger

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
I think Roger is spot on.

Marriage; Joseph Monkton and Anne Masefield Pattingham 16 May 1836 Pattingham

The 1851 census found by Roger has the birth of James Macefield in Beckbury, Shropshire. (Pattingham is very near to the Staffs./Shropshire border and to Beckbury).

Baptism: 15 June 1817 Anne Masefield Parents James and Sarah in Beckbury (James a labourer).

Marriage: 3 Jan 1814 in Beckbury James Macefield of this parish and Sarah Russel of the parish of Pattingham.

There are possible baptisms for other children of this couple in Pattingham, namely Mary,James and Thomas.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
(Whoops, posted before I saw your reply, Millmoor! Looks like we've cracked it, though)

Hey all, thanks for the replies!

I'd figured out most of this, and your posts made me have a lightbulb moment to figure out the rest!  I can't believe I didn't think to check the maiden name connection. ;D

So I believe Sarah Hamlett was Sarah Monkton when she married George Hamlett, but that was her second marriage. Her maiden name before she married  was Maxfield (or so the online transcription said), she married Joseph Monckton in Wolverhampton around 1836. Something happened to Joseph in 1839-40 and she remarried in 1841.

So I suppose Thomas was sent to live with relatives (possibly grandparents?). I suppose that only leaves the question of where Sarah was in 1841. I believe she would have been remarried before the census was taken.

Offline M_ONeill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
Also, I haven't been able to find a death record for Joseph Monckton, though it can only fall within the space of about three years, 1839-1841.