Author Topic: Will of Richard Aylmer 1514  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Richard Aylmer 1514
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 14 October 18 00:26 BST (UK) »
Snippet #10 suggestions ...

... I bequeth(e) to Annye my maide ...
I think there are 4 minims before the y, so I suppose it could be Amiye or Aimye. I don’t see a contraction - is it the tail of the y in the line above?

last line – own(e) mother in lyke man(er)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 14 October 18 04:50 BST (UK) »
Ah ha! 'minims'. Thanks for solving that one Bookbox.  :)

Ok. So no doubt the tail of the 'y' above and not a contraction mark after all.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 14 October 18 07:13 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure the first maid is:  Annys

Compare the s on Executors in the bottom line or on daughters in #9.

Agree the second maid is:  ffeyth

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 14 October 18 07:13 BST (UK) »
Williow, thank you for your understanding on Friday.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 14 October 18 07:25 BST (UK) »
The item before the bequest to the first maid is to:  my Norys

Nourrice is derived from French and means wet nurse.

The verb is difficult.  Best I can do is (maybe):  befit

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 14 October 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
Williow, thank you for your understanding on Friday.

Of course! I sincerely hope everything is better now. I hate days like that so much myself.

Seriously, you are the ones doing me a favour here. A massive one, at that.

Also, this is supposed to be fun. If something I am doing is making it un-fun, I'd much rather have the chance to rectify that.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 14 October 18 18:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Goldie, Bookbox and HD!!! :) :D :) I will say it again, you have performed an absolute miracle here!!! I am so unbelievably grateful. I honestly have no idea how you do it! :) :) :)

Snippet 9

or elles at the age of xviij yeres/ Also I bequeath to Elisabeth my doughter v score markes * good and lawfull money of
England when she is maried or when she com(m)yth to the age of xviij yeres/ Item I bequeth to margaret my doughter v score
markes of lawfull money when she is maried or elles when she com(m)yth to the age of xviij yeres / And if any of my doughters
decease or they co(m)me to mariage or to xviij yeres of age I will that the other Sisters lyvyng [   ] then the
seid C marke/ and yf it fortune that two of my doughters decease or they co(m)me to mariage or to the age of xviij yeres
than I will that my doughter that lyveth to mariage or to the age of xviij yeres shalhave no more but CC markes / And yf

* the scribe has missed out the word 'of' here.

Snippet 10

it fortune that all my doughters decease or they com(m)e to mariage or to xviij yere of age/ than I will that it be disposed
for my soule and their soules my frendes soules and Cristen soules / Also I bequeath Elyn my wyff in money and silver
plate and wares to the so(m)me of vj C markes / Also I bequeth my wyff all my stuff of housold / Also I beuqeth ev(er)y sevant
in my house xiij s iiijd Item I lefe? my necys xs/ Item I bequeth to Anngt*(?) my maide xs/ Item I bequeth feyth(?)
my maide xs / Item I bequeth my mother in law a black gowne  and a golde ryng to the value of xs And myn
own mother in lyke mind / Also I will myn Executors receve my dettes and paye my dettes/ Also I requyer my

* there's a contraction mark over the end of this - but I've no idea what it might mean!

The writing itself is not so terrible Willow, apart from the fact is it very tiny. It looks to me he might have had an old pen with an unsharp nib, and so the letters become all blotchy and it's hard to see the formation of the letter shapes. Some squiggle could be 'minie', or 'nimei' or any other permutation of those little letters! I know there's a particular term for 'little up and down strokes', but can't remember what it is.
Perhaps he couldn't afford a new quill!  :)

Too bad we cannot create a GoFundMe campaign for the past. I think we all might have been willing to chip in a couple of bucks to rectify that situation ;D

Oh! And here we have the name of the second wife! :) Then I am going to make the brilliant deduction that the wife's whose sepulcher he wishes to be buried by, is his deceased first wife Joan (whose name we know from the inscription from previously)

And my body to be buried in synt Peters churche by my wyffes sepulcor

and Elyn, the one he is leaving stuff to, is his second wife, and was still alive when he wrote his will in 1509.

Also I bequeath Elyn my wyff in money and silver plate and wares

Excellent! The family tree is really coming together here!!! :) :) :)

Posting the two very last snippets. *breathes huge sigh of relief*

Like I have mentioned before, unless it contains something ~revolutionary~, I suggest we bypass the probate in silence this time. The writing takes another hit for the worse in it ... ::)

Thank you so much again, Goldie, Bookbox and HD!!! :) :D :) This is utterly wonderful! I am unbelievably thankful for your time and effort.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 14 October 18 18:29 BST (UK) »
About the seke mens houses or the syke mens houses I am wondering if they could have been lepers.

A leper-house, called St. Stephen's hospital, which was formerly inhabited by lepers, lazars, and lame folks; of these houses there were five, at five of the city gates; each was governed by a master, custos or guardian, who before the Dissolution, was always a religious, and officiated daily in the chapel belonging to his house; there was one always at each house, called the foregoer, who used to beg daily for them; few people died heretofore without leaving a legacy "to each leper-house at the five gates, "viz. St. Stephen's or Nedham, St. Giles or Newport, St. Bennet's or Westwick, St. Austin's, St. Mary Magdalen Fybridge, or Five-bridge-gate: and to each of the foregoers there; and anciently, besides these leper-houses, there were hermits dwelling in their cells in all the gates; for in many wills there are legacies to the hermits residing in all the gates at Norwich.
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-hist-norfolk/vol4/pp145-184

The above quote gives the answer to the anchorites and anchoresses as well :)

Certainly both Robert Aylmer (d.1493) and Thomas Aylmer (d.1500) leave bequests to the lepers residing in the city:

From Robert Aylmer's will of 1493:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799398.0

Item I will that ev(er)y lepere both man and woman beying And dwelling by and without the v yate of Norwich whan myne executours thydre come to visite them have ij d

And

From Thomas Aylmer's will of 1500:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800847.0

It(e)m to ev(er)y Sykeman and woman at iche of the v yates [5 gates] in Norwich ijd

The above quote from An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk, however, does not mention the houses being built on private property. On the other hand, the sources seem to speak very little of the Aylmers at all. That seems to be because they died out in the male line in Norwich.

Also, the property with the sick men's houses seems to have originated with Thomas or was left to him by someone else, his father only left him land in Higham as far as I can see.

Item I will that Thomas my sonne have all my Landes and tenementes in Higham beside Norwich to hold to hym his heires and his assignes for ev(er)more whan he co(m)eth to laufull age under condition that ^he^ be curteis humble and diligent to my wif his modre

On the other hand, Robert Aylmer (d.1493) seems to have owned other land in Norwich that he does not mention specifically in his will:

Item I will that all myn other landes and tenementes in Norwich and in Northfolke be sold by myn executo(r)s And the money therof co(m)myng disposed in paying of my dettes and in p(er)formance of this my testament and last will and in other dedys of mercy for my soule and the soules afore said

Just as with Thomas, it might be that Robert's executors were a smidge more practical and kept said properties in the family, and that the two closes with the sick men's houses were among them ...

Looking up the above quotes I also found this:

It(e)m I Will that my close lying at the gates of west Wyk adioynyng nexte the grounde of Nicholas Appilyard esquier and my Land with ought seint Gyles yates

I did not look into Nicholas Appleyard at the time, assuming that he had been an anonymous farmer, but that was not so :)

Will of Nicholas Appleyard 1513
http://www.wellowgate.co.uk/Appleyard/nicholas.html

His executors were Thomas Lord Howard, Sir John Shelton Knight, Master Edmonde Howard and Thos Appleyarde of London, draper. Posting because they are last names and occupations we keep coming across.

More about the Appleyard family of Norwich in general here:

History of Parliament Page of William Appleyard (d.1419) of Norwich, Hethel and Bracon Ash, Norfolk
https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/appleyard-william-1419

William Appleyard (d.1419) of Norwich inherited, from his parents, manors at Intwood, Bracon Ash and Hethel.

From the will of Alexander Aylmer of 1549:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800382.0

Itm I wull that Anne my wyff shall have all my landes and Ten(emen)ts lying in Tyvetshale Saint Margaret in the cowntie of Norff - called Intwoode Batemans

Francoso remarked upon it at the time:

Not sure if this is relevant but "INTWOOD (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Henstead, hundred of Humbleyard, E. division of Norfolk, 3½ miles (S. W.) from Norwich.

Well, if nothing else, we are becoming quite the experts on medieval Norwich here! :)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 14 October 18 18:31 BST (UK) »
The item before the bequest to the first maid is to:  my Norys

Nourrice is derived from French and means wet nurse.

The verb is difficult.  Best I can do is (maybe):  befit

Awww! :)

He also left bequests to the two maids. That was very nice of him.

Maybe they were a bit sentimental, after all!

We are talking about this part, right?

Item I lefe? my necys xs/