Author Topic: Will of Richard Aylmer 1514  (Read 5282 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Richard Aylmer 1514
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 14 October 18 20:24 BST (UK) »
Snippet #11

... Cofeoffes that they release to my wyff when they be requyred according to my will and I desire them and praye

them therof  Also I orden and make myn Executors Elyn my wyff myn owen[?] mother my brother[?] ffrannces mountford

and william here  And I gyve ev(er)y of them for their labour iiij li a peece  In wytnesse wherof I wryte this will w(i)t(h)

myn owne hande and set therto my seale the daye and yere aboveseid  And all the remain(a)nt[?] of my goodes I put to the

disposicion of myn Executors for to do in ded(es) of Charitie the whiche maye be to the pleasure of Almyghty god

(Other opinions on the executors will be particularly welcome.)

Snippet #12 abstract

Proved at Lambeth on 26 February 1514/15 by Elena/Elyn, the relict and executrix, who was sworn; inventory and accounts required; power reserved to the other executors.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 15 October 18 02:42 BST (UK) »

I agree with your reading of his executors.

The only slight change I would suggest to the transcript is:  ...accordyng to my will and so desire them...

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 15 October 18 02:43 BST (UK) »

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 15 October 18 08:55 BST (UK) »
The only slight change I would suggest to the transcript is:  ...accordyng to my will and so desire them...

Good call.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 15 October 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
Also I orden and make myn Executors Elyn my wyff myn owen[?] mother my brother[?] ffrannces mountford and william here

I agree with your reading of his executors.

I heartily agree :)

Elyn my wyff is of course Elyn his second wife.

myn owen[?] mother must be Elizabeth Thursby, who we know is still alive at this point as she left her own will in 1518, nine years after Richard Aylmer wrote his will in 1509.

Elizabeth Thursby and his mother-in-law (sadly unnamed) were both also left a black gowne and a golde ryng to the value of xs earlier in the will.

my brother[?] ffrannces mountford - His brother-in-law, Francis Mountford! :) (Yes, the existence of such a person was complete news to me as well!!!)

It appears that Elizabeth Thursby had children in her second marriage, at least three daughters, Margaret, Beatrice and Elizabeth.

Francis Mountford (1474/76-1536) - History of Parliament Page
Francis Mountford married firstly Margaret, daughter of Thomas Thoresby of Lynn, Norfolk.
https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/monford-francis-147476-1536

As we remember, the second husband of Elizabeth (d.1518), widow of Robert Aylmer (d.1493) was a Thomas Thursby or Thoresby :)

According to his History of Parliament page Francis Mountford owed much of his success to this marriage to a Thursby:

Francis Monford probably owed his return for Lynn to the first two Parliaments of Henry VIII less to his inheritance of estates some 20 miles from the borough than to his legal qualification and his marriage into the Thoresby family. He and Thomas Gibbon, who was also married to one of Thomas Thoresby’s daughters, were elected on 7 Jan. 1510, during the mayoralty of John Grindell, another Thoresby connexion, and in place of two men chosen five days earlier but excused.

Beatrice was married at least twice.

William Coningsby (by 1483-1540) - History of Parliament Page
m. by 1516, Beatrice, da. of Thomas Thoresby of Lynn, wid. of William Trew (d.1510/12) of Lynn, 1s. 4da.2
https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/coningsby-william-1483-1540

Thomas Gibbon (1470/71-1531) - History of Parliament Page
m. (1) by 1507, Elizabeth, da. of Thomas Thoresby of Lynn
https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/gibbon-%28guybon%29-thomas-147071-1531

Since they are not Aylmers we shall bypass their existence in silence, except to mention that the granddaughter of Francis Mountford and Margaret Thursby, Elizabeth, marries a Geffrey Cobb of Sandringham, presumably the descendant of Sir Laurence Aylmer and his daughter Alice and her husband also named Geffrey Cobb of Sandringha.

Mountford - The Visitations of Norfolk
https://archive.org/stream/visitacionievisi32ryew#page/200/mode/2up

Also, Margaret, the daughter of Richard Aylmer, mentioned in his will, was presumably named after his half-sister Margaret Thursby, as we have not encounted a Margaret amongst our Aylmers before. It is always so annoying when you have been following a family for a while and 'outsiders' come in with new names :)

Also, their existence heightens the likehood of having found the solution to the last Aylmer mystery in the Visitations of Norfolk :)

That of Margaret, daughter of ... Aylmer of Norfolk, who marries Richard Batiscroft of Bexwell.

They have the children Beatrix, Ellen, Agnes, Thomas, Christopher and John.

I am thinking that Elyn/Elyne/Elena is not what we today would have written as Elaine, as I wrote before, but rather, what we today would have written as Ellen :)

Beatrix after Beatrice Thursby, who would have been the same age as Margaret Aylmer. Ellen, after her mother and sister. Thomas, possibly after her uncle and the brother whose name we do not know? John, after the nephew of Thomas Aylmer who was in all probability also Margaret Aylmer's brother.

Batiscroft - The Visitations of Norfolk
https://archive.org/stream/visitacionievisi32ryew#page/22/search/Aylmer

and william here

William Hare appears to have been a contemporary of Richard Aylmer.

in the 3d of Henry IV. and Julian Norwich, widow, conveyed it in the 30th of Henry VIII. to William Hare, Gent.
WILLIAM HARE of Beeston, Gent. 1545
Alice, daughter of Wayte, relićt of William Hare, Esq; of Beeston
Hare, Audrey, dau. of William Hare, LXXVI.
(a bit uncertain if the year fits here ...)

Thank you so so so much, Bookbox and HD!!! :) :D :) This was splendid!!! :) :-* :)