Author Topic: LATVIA 1880 birth Cust/Kwist (was churchbook transcription please (in German?)  (Read 1290 times)

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Would SKS be able to transcribe this entry, obtained from the Raduraksti website of scanned documents for Hasenpoth Evangelic Lutherian church May 1880 births. Apologies for the poor quality, the original is via this link:

http://www.lvva-raduraksti.lv/en/menu/lv/2/ig/1/ie/1/book/1990.html  page 13 right page

Many thanks,
Paul

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LATVIA 1880 churchbook transcription please (in German?)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 October 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
No. 10 Heinrich Ernst Jeannot, ehel[icher] Sohn des Lötthers
in Hasenpoth Friedrich Carl Kickel u[nd] deßen Ehefrau
Mathilde. Elt[ern] luth[erisch] Get[auft] vom Pastor Joh[ann] Wieckberg
zu Hasenpoth in der Kirche. Pathen: Pumpenma-
cher Heinrich Meyer, Jungfrau Marie Weber, Töpfer-
gesell Jeannot Nothmann

In the top right-hand corner of the image viewer, next to page numbers, you can magnify the image by a factor of x3.

Justin

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: LATVIA 1880 birth Cust/Kwist (was transcription)
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Justin, that is very good of you, thank you. I hadn't noticed the 3x box!
However, not my man unfortunately.
I'm looking for someone who called himself Harold/Henry/Harry Kwist in England after about 1915. He said he was born 18 Feb 1880 in Hasenpoth. At first he was recorded in UK with the surname Cust, with parents Carl and Annie.  I have all the available records in UK from 1901 onwards and was hoping to trace his birth.  I know nothing about Latvia records, though the Raduraksti seems useful if one can read the script (German, Russian and Hebrew - depending on which religion his parents might have been).  any help/guidance appreciated.
cheers,
Paul

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LATVIA 1880 birth Cust/Kwist (was churchbook transcription please (in German?)
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 October 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Paul,

Hasenpoth was not only a city, but also a district (Kreis in German). I can only suggest that you check the records for the other main German communities in that district.

This link gives a list of the main German communities (Gemeinden) in Kurland.
http://www.roots-saknes.lv/Ethnicities/Germans/Manteuffel/KfvMGermansKurland.htm

Justin

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: LATVIA 1880 birth Cust/Kwist (was churchbook transcription please (in German?)
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 18 10:30 BST (UK) »
Justin, once again thank you for this info. Gives me a bit more to work on, though I might be asking for transcription services as a result!
At a quick look, I can see some of those communities listed on Raduraksti.
Cheers,
Paul

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 October 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have the 1905 marriage cert of Henry Cust and Barbara Forrester?

I notice that Henry was only 23, not 25, and his father was identified as James Cust.

What is your source for his date of birth?

The National Archives hold various records for Henry/Harry Kwist. One record relating to his service in the Home Guard gives his DoB as 27 May 1883!!!

The most interesting records would be his naturalisation registration papers
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4171486

Cheers, Justin

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 October 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin,
Yes, the dob's are all over the place!  ::)  I have the naturalisation papers, and other items which quote at least three dob's, as well as different fathers names.  The place comes from the naturalisation papers. The dob I quoted is only one, but any search of the churchbooks will cover the span 1880 to 1883.  I'm not even sure of his birth surname.  Kwist & Cust are on UK documents, but these could be anglicised versions of the original.  Kvist, Kriest could be possibles. So I'm keeping an open mind.
cheers,
Paul

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 October 18 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you finding that entry.
I'm away for a few days, but will investigate further next week.