Author Topic: Walter Hardy 1903-1921  (Read 656 times)

Offline MasterMariner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Hardy 1903-1921
« on: Thursday 11 October 18 20:40 BST (UK) »
Walter Hardy born Morley, (Wilmslow) Cheshire 19/08/1903 to Sam and Sophia Hardy. I've got his birth details from a family bible and also found an entry in the England & Wales BMD Index. Walter died 04/04/1921 - details from his grave stone but, at the moment, I can find no record anywhere of his demise. Family history has it that his father Sam went to France to bring his body back home, but I have no idea what he was doing there. Could he have been in the Army, but he sounds a bit young for that. Any suggestions on where to look next?
Thanks.
Gallaway, Stevens, Pring, Piller, Hulme, Hughes, Jones, Hardy.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Hardy 1903-1921
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 October 18 21:21 BST (UK) »
If he died in England but away from home then his death would be registered in the registration district in which he died. If he did die in England then this death could be a contender
Walter Hardy age 17 June 1/4 1921 registration district Chorlton volume 8c page 860
The June 1/4 registration would fit with a death 4 April.
You could order it by not entering the details of volume etc on the first page then specify on the next page that his parent(s) must be Sam Hardy/ Maria Hardy. if it is the wrong one you will receive a refund

Offline MasterMariner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 October 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information and suggestion. I will follow that up. The family info that his father Sam went to France to take home a body has two sources - maybe a different body?
Thanks again.
Gallaway, Stevens, Pring, Piller, Hulme, Hughes, Jones, Hardy.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 October 18 00:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information and suggestion. I will follow that up. The family info that his father Sam went to France to take home a body has two sources - maybe a different body?
Thanks again.

Sometimes family information can become distorted over the years. Would his father have actually had the funds to travel to France and bring the body (any body) home. I see Samuel is a labourer in the 1911 census.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 18 01:09 BST (UK) »
If he died in England but away from home then his death would be registered in the registration district in which he died. If he did die in England then this death could be a contender
Walter Hardy age 17 June 1/4 1921 registration district Chorlton volume 8c page 860
You could order it by not entering the details of volume etc on the first page then specify on the next page that his parent(s) must be Sam Hardy/ Maria Hardy. if it is the wrong one you will receive a refund

Parents names aren't usually given on death certs - just name of informant

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 October 18 01:39 BST (UK) »

Parents names aren't usually given on death certs - just name of informant

Suz

You are so right Suz - my very basic error. :o
So the only hope is that the informant was a family member and to find that out means shelling out for the certificate