Author Topic: Non Conformist Records, Dalkeith  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Dieter1865

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Non Conformist Records, Dalkeith
« on: Friday 12 October 18 13:49 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know if records exist for NC's approx 1820-1840 for Dalkeith, especially during a Reverend Alexander Arthur's leadership?  Thank you.

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Non Conformist Records, Dalkeith
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 October 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have a look at ScotlandsPeople "church registers" other churches
Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline Dieter1865

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 October 18 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have a look at ScotlandsPeople "church registers" other churches
Yours Aye
BruceL

Cheers for that Bruce, I hadn't noticed those on Scotlandspeople. Can't see her relatives though.  Most of Alexanders kids I found in the Church of Scotland records, but I'm convinced they had more, once NC.

I've emailed the Midlothian local studies and as my cousin to check the Edinburgh Evening Courant 29/8/1829 and the Scotsman 2/9/1829 as I think Alexander's death is announced in those issues, but can't tell for sure from the scrambled text.  Should give a clearer view on which parish he lead.

If it's him in the papers, his Scotland's people death 24/8/1829, would see him buried under a Church of Scotland reference.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 October 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
According to Diane Baptie's Registers of the Secession Churches in Scotland, there is a baptismal register of Dalkeith West United Presbyterian Church starting in 1839, but nothing else that matches your dates.

PS the term 'non-conformist' is not relevant in Scotland. A non-conformist is by definition a protestant denomination which does not conform with the established Church of England. The C of E is not 'established' in Scotland so the term has no meaning in relation to religious denominations in Scotland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dieter1865

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
According to Diane Baptie's Registers of the Secession Churches in Scotland, there is a baptismal register of Dalkeith West United Presbyterian Church starting in 1839, but nothing else that matches your dates.

PS the term 'non-conformist' is not relevant in Scotland. A non-conformist is by definition a protestant denomination which does not conform with the established Church of England. The C of E is not 'established' in Scotland so the term has no meaning in relation to religious denominations in Scotland.

Thank you for the clarification Forfarian. I'm used to the terminology my Californian cousin addresses that branch of her family tree with.  I've been exceedingly lucky with my own family falling into CofS and a handful of Roman Catholics.  This is a learning curve for me also.  It will be interesting to see a record or two of their religion.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 October 18 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looked up the Scotsman, your dates are correct, he is named as Alexander Arthur, and is described as "pastor of the Congregational Church, he was in his 51st year of age, and the 27th year of his ministry."

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 13 October 18 22:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry to infiltrate this post, but I have been looking for some Baptist BMD's for some time, and not having any luck!  Any advice??  They would probably be from around the early 1920's in Ayrshire, possibly New Cumnock?? I've tried Scotland's people, but no joy there! Thank you for any pointers!

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 13 October 18 23:23 BST (UK) »
In the 1920’s all BMD should appear in the statutory records on Scotlandspeople, regardless of religion.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 October 18 02:13 BST (UK) »
👍👍Thanks Isobelw, obviously I need to
 recheck Scotland's people again! 
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections