Author Topic: Marriage Registers and Middle Names for the Woodgers - Can anyone help?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Registers and Middle Names for the Woodgers - Can anyone help?
« on: Friday 12 October 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me with two questions I have about one family.

I've found that Albert Woodger married Laura Cowen on the 23rd March 1919 in St. Nicholas cathedral in Newcastle. Does anyone know if the registers are on line anywhere so I can see the entry they made in the book?

Second question, I know they went on to have three children, one is called Yvonne Z Woodger who was born in Q1 1924 in Newcastle. I have tried and tried but can't find what the Z stood for. Can anyone help with that one?

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Registers and Middle Names for the Woodgers - Can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 October 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
YZW (now YZK) appears on very recent electoral registers, I think you should remove her name from your posts
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 October 18 16:42 BST (UK) »
Marriage registers as 'recent' as 1919 are very unlikely to be online, but TWAS parish register user guide says they have marriages at St Nicholas from 1574 -1965 on microfilm

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 October 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
YZW (now YZK) appears on very recent electoral registers, I think you should remove her name from your posts

Via Iannounce:

Newcastle Evening Chronicle 4th July 2018
KENT YVONNE Nee Woodger (Morpeth, late of Brunton Park, Gosforth). Suddenly on 26th June aged 94 years. A beloved Wife of the late Dennis. Friends please meet for service and cremation at Newcastle West Road Crematorium on Tuesday 10th July at 11.00 am. No flowers by request, donations if desired to the R.S.P.C.A. C/O John Grenfell & Son Funeral Directors, 12 Manchester Street, Morpeth. Tel. 01670 504930.

Boo

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo  :)  I looked earlier for a probate but possibly still too early for that to appear.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
There is a probate entry for her husband, Dennis Hornsby Kent who died 19th Nov 1968 administration granted 1969. but sadly the printed calendar at that time had stopped saying to whom the admin was granted - and that was my only other option to find out her middle name.

Michael, you could check every now and then in case there is a probate/ admin for this lady over the next few months  https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills  sometimes its a good while before the application (if one is needed) is made and the probate done so that the grant can be issued.

Only other thing I can think of is, if you are passing the Probate Office in Newcastle at some stage, you could pop in and consult the records on the pcs in reception, (ring the bell and ask if you can consult the calendars and they'll buzz you in)  her husband's admin may have been granted to her and if its on the fiche then her middle name may well be there. Long shot but all I can think of.

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Thank you so much for the help, I'm really upset that I have missed out on being able to talk to her although I don't suppose I would have found her without that chronicle announcement.

Her dad has become a bit of an obsession and she was obviously really close as they named about 3 of there homes after her.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 October 18 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

I don't know if you mean you want to see the marriage entry for yourself or if you would just like to know what is on the marriage entry.  If the latter, I think I would be able to fit in a visit to the archives at some point over the next few weeks to do this.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
Found at Tyne and Wear Archives

St Nicholas Cathedral, Newcastle upon Tyne
Entry 438
April 22 1919
Albert Woodger & Laura Cowen
His age: 36
Her age: 26
Bachelor & Spinster
Albert was a 'Lieut. East (L? can't make out word) Regt.
His residence: 5 Charlotte Square
Her residence: 17 Holborn Tce, Ryton on Tyne
Father's:
John Woodger - (can't make out properly writing too small and cramped - possibly veterinary surgeon (deceased)
Joseph Cowan - Engineer
3 witnesses:
First: (Edwin?) Woodger
Second: ?
Third: John Cowen
All signed

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner