Author Topic: Mary Sands  (Read 1124 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Sands
« Reply #9 on: Friday 12 October 18 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev, it was information I found on Ancestry.com. if the information is true her husband would have been 17, he had been married before at the age of 15-16 in Virginia USA.

Ah, the delights of unreliable online trees!

Like bevj I would be suspicious.  The golden rule is to trust nothing without proven sources.  Sadly, some online tree owners seem to think: "well, I can't find anything better - so I'll use that."

My advice (for what it's worth) is to work back from the known, documenting every step citing verifiable sources -  BMDs, census records, parish registers and so on.

How far back in your line do you have proven ancestors (from original record sources)? Rootschatters are great at helping with advice and digging into old documents.

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grumble64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 October 18 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Philip, many thanks, yes I think I may have to look at my great grandmothers side again.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 October 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
Are you researching William EDWARDS who was born c1824 and married Mary HORTON in Adelaide in 1849?  I would initially think not as you say that Elizabeth is your great grandmother, whereas their daughter Elizabeth died in infancy. This is the William who appears in the family trees as a descendant of Mary SANDS born in Ticehurst in 1752.

Debra  :)

Offline grumble64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 October 18 13:45 BST (UK) »
No Debra, I now believe thanks to misinformation on Ancestry, neither Mary or William are members of my family, I need to look at my entire G, Grandmothers line again.

Thank you everyone for your help anyway.