Author Topic: Letter A in baptism register  (Read 3145 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: Letter A in baptism register
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 October 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
Possibly C = consecrated ground
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 October 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
Surely that goes w/o saying on a church register though?

Oh yeah, and it's also not a quick visual aid to show 'Children', as the entry I recorded was for a 39 year old woman.

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 October 18 23:10 BST (UK) »
Catholic ?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 October 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Is there a secondary church attached to it? - sometimes they seem to share a register

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 October 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
Is there a secondary church attached to it? - sometimes they seem to share a register

No, it's just Kelloe St Helen in Co Durham. IIRC, there's an additional register called Kelloe (Thornley) from when parish boundaries were changed, but think that was long after 1877. And it's really just a couple of pages that have this (again, IIRC).

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 09:27 BST (UK) »
I suggested Catholic as a possibility, having transcribed Anglican burials for Formby in Lancashire in the Victorian period.  Quite a few were labelled Catholic, as this was before a Catholic chapel had been built and presumably they were interred in local consecrated ground.  But the distinction had to be made ... 8)

Offline steadyrollingman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 11:19 BST (UK) »
I suggested Catholic as a possibility, having transcribed Anglican burials for Formby in Lancashire in the Victorian period.  Quite a few were labelled Catholic, as this was before a Catholic chapel had been built and presumably they were interred in local consecrated ground.  But the distinction had to be made ... 8)

Oh really?  ??? Well, it's certainly an Anglican parish so not sure. The people I recorded were ones with the relevant surname but not yet sure how (or if) they fit into my tree, so don't have any clues as to their affiliations. Odd that a load of Catholics died in the same week though if that's correct - unless I was looking at 1677 by mistake, rather than 1877!

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
Well, it's certainly an Anglican parish so not sure. The people I recorded were ones with the relevant surname but not yet sure how (or if) they fit into my tree, so don't have any clues as to their affiliations. Odd that a load of Catholics died in the same week though if that's correct - unless I was looking at 1677 by mistake, rather than 1877!
Ah, if you have a close batch maybe my suggestion doesn't hold much water, especially for baptisms.  But pre-registration the established churches were effectively the registration authority, and families were often baptised en masse, and maybe again later in a place more to their liking.

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 October 18 13:52 BST (UK) »
I had a sudden inspiration on the 'C' against multiple entries in a burial register.

Might there have been a local epidemic, which the minister decided to keep a record of? Cholera, perhaps?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk