Author Topic: BAUGH(E) / BASS(E)  (Read 1225 times)

Offline anewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
BAUGH(E) / BASS(E)
« on: Saturday 13 October 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hello,
         Are the names BAUGH(E) and BASS(e) interchangeable ?

I'm researching some ancestors named BAUGH in Wiltshire around Winterslow & Idmiston.
When checking the PRs around the 1600s, it appears that some other researchers are presuming that the name BASS is another spelling variation of Baugh. --- Is this correct ?

Any guidance on this would be appreciated.
THANK YOU, Alan.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: BAUGH(E) / BASS(E)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 October 18 20:11 BST (UK) »
This may help?

"The surname Baugh was originally formed in the western region of Britain in the rugged country of Wales. Baugh was initially a nickname for a small or short man, derived from the Welsh word "bach," which means "little."

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline anewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 October 18 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Annie,
                 Thank you for that information.

I've now discovered that BAUGH can be pronounced as in "Laugh", and what I thought were Ss,
could be Fs. Apparently some people spell it as BAFF. --- I'm continually learning.

Kind Regards, Alan.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 October 18 23:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Allan as this would make sense & is an unusual (in terms) surname which is in my tree!

I had wondered when I 1st came across the name what the origins were & I'd initially pronounced it as 'boch' as in 'loch' (the Scottish way i.e. not 'lock') or 'ball' minus the 'll' with the 'gh' more or less silent.

However, if you would like the info. I have on my 'Baugh' connection, I can share?

My Baugh is not my direct line but a 'marry-in' with Baugh descendants although I have his parentage too if you're interested?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline anewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Annie,
                 Thank you for your latest reply.
I had previously assumed the pronunciation to be as in "ball" but minus the "ll",  as you indicated

However, my research does now show that during the 1700s and earlier, spellings did include :-
Baugh(e), Bass(e), Baff(e).

Thanks for the offer of your Baugh info, but unless they resided in the Wiltshire and neighbouring counties area, I would rather leave that for now, Thanks.
Likewise, if you require any info concerning the Baughs in the Winterslow area, I would be happy to assist if I can.

Kind regards, Alan.