Author Topic: Alice Utley and Joe Jennings, Yorkshire Marriage  (Read 1623 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Utley and Joe Jennings, Yorkshire Marriage
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 October 18 00:53 BST (UK) »
What was the occupation of Rose’s father Joe, according to her birth certificate?
Glass bottle maker

Not in the Army then - I was hoping he might have a WW1 record, especially as there is a significant gap between the 1916 birth and the 1920 birth.

I’m concerned that you may have alighted on the wrong people with the 1884/1885 (Halifax) Joe and Alice - they do seem a better match to the Jennings/Metcalfe marriage.  Also there is no Alice Utley birth in 1885 registered anywhere in England & Wales.

I see that the youngest Jennings/Utley child was born in Leeds in 1921.  Where and when did Rose and her siblings marry?  This may point to where their parents were settled at the time.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline monthebiff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 October 18 01:03 BST (UK) »
What was the occupation of Rose’s father Joe, according to her birth certificate?
Glass bottle maker

Not in the Army then - I was hoping he might have a WW1 record, especially as there is a significant gap between the 1916 birth and the 1920 birth.

I’m concerned that you may have alighted on the wrong people with the 1884/1885 (Halifax) Joe and Alice - they do seem a better match to the Jennings/Metcalfe marriage.  Also there is no Alice Utley birth in 1885 registered anywhere in England & Wales.

I see that the youngest Jennings/Utley child was born in Leeds in 1921.  Where and when did Rose and her siblings marry?  This may point to where their parents were settled at the time.
This makes more sense maybe I have got it wrong! Rose married young in Middlesex London (Hayes, Uxbridge area) and the first i found of her after her birth is in 1939 with her husband Ronald Saunders with her brother Joe living with her. Ivy and Joe married in Middlesex too and all lived there until their deaths.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 October 18 01:15 BST (UK) »
Yes I see.  So there’s a gap between the last definite Yorkshire sighting (birth of Joe jnr, 15 Sep 1921 Leeds) and the first Middlesex sighting (Rose’s marriage in Uxbridge district in 1932).

I notice that a Joe Jennings married in Uxbridge in 1933 to Sarah Dobson - they appear in Hayes together in subsequent electoral rolls.  Could this be a second marriage for Joe snr, perhaps?

Looks like his birthdate was 17 May 1891.  Possible death: Joe Jennings aged 71, Mar qtr 1863 Uxbridge.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 October 18 01:41 BST (UK) »
It looks to me as though your Jennings family moved from Leeds to Middlesex around 1922-3.

Electoral rolls show Joe & Alice Jennings at 33 Fleece Square, Leeds in 1922.

Then from 1923 to 1931 they are at 8 U’Kay Cottages (aka U’Kay Bungalows), Dawley, Hayes.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 October 18 03:24 BST (UK) »
I've found their marriage but it didn't take place in Yorkshire or anywhere else in England.

Although both Yorkshire born and bred they actually married in Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland - viewed the certificate on Scotlands People who have him indexed as 'Joseph' but it's Joe on certificate:

Joe Jennings   24    Bottle Worker  son of Samuel Jennings, Glass Bottle Maker (deceased) and
                                                           Alice Jennings, nee Burton?? (that's what it looks like,
                                                                                      handwriting awful)
Alice Utley      25    Domestic Servant,  dau. of Fred Utley, Labourer and Eliza Jane Utley, nee Betts.

Address for both is St. Leonards Place, Kinghorn.

Married on 22/5/1915 Kirkcaldy, Fife.    Witnesses: Thomas Langley and Charles McCafferty.

Slight errors are that Joe's mother was actually Elizabeth Alice Burgin - his parents married 1878 Hunslet - and Alice was only 23 not 25.

Joe Jennings' birth reg'd Jun. 1891 Hunslet - mmn Burgin - which would fit with a birthdate of 17/5/1891 (birthplace given as Leeds on census) and Alice Utley's birth reg'd Jun.1892 Rotherham -mmn Betts (birthplace given as Swinton on census).

The only likely death entry I can see for Alice Jennings is back in Rotherham in Sept.qtr.1932.  If she knew she was dying she may have wanted to die back in her birthplace.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 October 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
Ah - that’s a great find, Annette.  Joe had a sister named Rose (b 17.03.1895), so perhaps she was the inspiration for his elder daughter’s name.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 October 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
Here’s Joe’s probate index entry:

JENNINGS Joe of 48 Drenon Square, Hayes, Middlesex died 18 February 1963 at Hillingdon Hospital Middlesex. Probate London 25 April 1963 to Ivy Morrisey married woman.  Effects: £256 17s.

Offline monthebiff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 October 18 13:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to help me. This has helped loads!!

Here’s Joe’s probate index entry:

JENNINGS Joe of 48 Drenon Square, Hayes, Middlesex died 18 February 1963 at Hillingdon Hospital Middlesex. Probate London 25 April 1963 to Ivy Morrisey married woman.  Effects: £256 17s.
I found an Ivy Morrisey living just roads up from where my great nan lived so it all connects!

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 October 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
Ivy Morrisey is Rose’s sister, surely?

Marriage, Jun qtr 1938

John Morrisey to Ivy Jennings

Uxbridge 3a 302