Author Topic: The Petty's of Otford, Kent & London / the family of Sir William Petty  (Read 741 times)

Offline SirJohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are there any experts out there for the various well known Petty familys ??
I am trying to determine whether there is any connection between the two familys mentioned in the
topic heading.    I am a direct descendant of the Petty's of Otford and there is an old family story that there is a connection.  (this has cropped up before as there is a letter in the Gentleman's Magazine of 1813 with a similar query !!)     I have done extensive work on both familys and cannot establish a link at all.    I am back to around 1550 with both familys.

The Petty's of Otford (sometimes referred to as of Collets Well),  went on to become significant
inhabitants of Reading, Wanstead & of course London.    I wont go into detail on Sir William Pettys family as it will be well known to any student of the family, before and after Sir William.
I would very much like to put this family rumour to rest.   Someone may have made a mistake in their research many years ago:  or maybe it was just wishful thinking !!

Cheers  Bloodnok

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: The Petty's of Otford, Kent & London / the family of Sir William Petty
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 18 10:16 BST (UK) »
Two identical threads running,

Duplicated topic removed
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.