Author Topic: Is this Ancestry DNA offer just for Americans?  (Read 2665 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Is this Ancestry DNA offer just for Americans?
« on: Monday 15 October 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
I've received a couple of emails from Ancestry in the last few days with an offer of saving 30% off a DNA testing kit - but they're only in dollars, and I can't see anywhere to convert it to pounds.

Is the offer only open to Americans and, if so, why do they keep sending emails to me here in the UK? I could do with another kit but have been waiting for just such an offer. Do I keep on waiting?  ??? :-\

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Ancestry DNA offer just for Americans?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
Likely the best offer of the year will be Black Friday - the day after American Thanksgiving in late November. But whether it will be available in UK I don't know.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 October 18 06:10 BST (UK) »
Likely the best offer of the year will be Black Friday - the day after American Thanksgiving in late November. But whether it will be available in UK I don't know.

Unfortunately (not that I object to the offers, more to the name and the associated hype) Black Friday has come to the UK as well.  Last year there were offers from all the major testers at that time. I ordered a DNA test then for my husband, which he said could be a Christmas present for me.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 October 18 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I'll wait then!

Will I be able to get a kit delivered to my brother's address even though I'm ordering it and Ancestry obviously know my address? Brother said he would do it but I want to make it as easy for him as possible - or he'll lose interest! You know what brothers are like.....!!
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 03 November 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I see that Ancestry currently have a 'Christmas sale' on for DNA kits at £69.99 but when you add in the delivery charges etc it comes to virtually £79.00 anyway. The sale closes on Nov 20th.

Can anyone remember from last year if the Black Friday offer went even lower? Or am I being too hopeful?

Jill

HELP!!!

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 November 18 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I see that Ancestry currently have a 'Christmas sale' on for DNA kits at £69.99 but when you add in the delivery charges etc it comes to virtually £79.00 anyway. The sale closes on Nov 20th.

Can anyone remember from last year if the Black Friday offer went even lower? Or am I being too hopeful?

Jill
The summer sale was £59, it should go to that at Black Friday and Christmas hopefully.

Online Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 November 18 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Presumably that offer is ending on Nov 20th as Thanksgiving is Nov 22nd so Black Friday, when I am sure the offer will be better is Nov 23rd.  I would wait for that.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline sadbrewer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 November 18 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I received a similar notification for their St. Patrick's day sale a few months back.
   I tried to buy but it just wouldn't let me...I contacted their UK helpline but was told it was US subscribers only and I shouldn't have been sent the offer, which quite annoyed me, they did though tbf give me a discount by knocking off the UK delivery price...but it was still substantially more than the US offer.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 November 18 15:35 GMT (UK) »
As we now have the deep joy of Black Friday in this country, we should get the offer as well as the US. I'll wait! Only a couple of weeks.

It does, however, seem a bit naughty to advertise the current offer as a 'Christmas Sale' if they know its going to go down again in price after Nov 20th. Still, I stopped expecting honesty from any firm, company, government  etc long ago.  :-\
HELP!!!