Author Topic: Auchincruive cemetery  (Read 2624 times)

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Auchincruive cemetery
« on: Monday 15 October 18 17:59 BST (UK) »
   I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to find out if there is a cemetery at Auchincruive. My granny was brought up to Auchincruive in November 1962 for burial. I have asked previously to see if she is in the St Quivox churchyard where her parents are interred, but was disappointed that there was no sign of her.
    She was Mary Harvey, born 1884 in Tarbolton, and her maiden name was McCracken. Her parents were Thomas and Mary McCracken.

Could anyone advise me how to proceed? My sister has just found a receipt that indicates her coffin was brought to Auchincruive. Are there any headstone records for there? I have already tried Ayr Cemeteries.

I would be most grateful if anyone could help me find where my granny lies. Many thanks, Islay

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Auchincruive cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 October 18 19:31 BST (UK) »
This isn't an area I'm familiar with, but the Scottish Association of Family History Societies has a site which might help you to work out what burial grounds there were in that area, and then gives further details of each one:

http://www.safhs.org.uk/burialgrounds.asp

From that it appears that the Ayrshire FHS have transcribed at least some of the memorials:

https://www.troonayrshirefhs.org.uk/publications/

If it were me, I think I'd want to check first that all memorials are included - I know of some publications which only include the pre-1855 ones, ie pre-civil registration.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
You could try the following from Ayrshire Roots.

Photographs of Headstones in St Quivox Cemetery
By Kenny Monaghan kennymonaghan@btinternet.com contact him here

However I would have thought by 1962 Mary would have been buried at Ayr Cemetery but as you say you have made contact. At the time Auchincruive was the home of the Agricultural College.
There is no burial ground there to my knowledge, the nearest would be across the road at St. Quivox.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Colin. I will try St Quivox again. My cousin thinks St Quivox was the right place, but could granny have been buried there and there be no record of her? I think there was a family lair where her parents and sister are.I would love to find her and given her an headstone if she has none. Thank you for your interest, Islay

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
However I would have thought by 1962 Mary would have been buried at Ayr Cemetery but as you say you have made contact. At the time Auchincruive was the home of the Agricultural College.
There is no burial ground there to my knowledge, the nearest would be across the road at St. Quivox.

I agree with Colin. The only graves at Auchincruive, as far as I know, are of pets which belonged to the family who owned the estate before it was the agricultural college.

I will try St Quivox again. My cousin thinks St Quivox was the right place, but could granny have been buried there and there be no record of her? I think there was a family lair where her parents and sister are.I would love to find her and given her an headstone if she has none.

There might not be a headstone, or there might be one but your names of your granny and her parents may not be on it or they may be illegible.
St. Quivox Church is very old and small. Churchyard isn't very big.
Cowban

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:53 BST (UK) »
    My sister has just found a receipt that indicates her coffin was brought to Auchincruive.

Auchincruive railway station was situated at St. Quivox.
https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/A/Auchincruive
 The station was on Ayr-Mauchline line and was operational for passengers 1870-1951 according to this website. Other stations on the line included Annbank railway station (which served the villages of Annbank and Mossblown) and Tarbolton railway station.

I wonder if "Auchincruive" on the receipt meant that the coffin was transported to Auchincruive station which was conveniently situated for St. Quivox Church. 

Cowban

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
  I think almost certainly with the family link of interments already there. Thank you for the information which was interesting. Granny was actually born at Annbank Station where her father worked. Islay.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 18:30 BST (UK) »
Website for St. Quivox parish  www.ayrstquivox.com says that St. Quivox parish has 2 churches, Auchincruive and Dalmilling. The latter church opened in the North Ayr suburb of Dalmilling in 1953. It's possible that St. Quivox Church was sometimes known as Auchincruive to distinguish it from the church at Dalmilling  or from other churches which have been within St. Quivox Parish at various times. In that case, the destination on the receipt for your grandmother's funeral would have been St. Quivox Church.
Cowban