Author Topic: I don't know of this US politician but this may be of interest  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
I don't know of this US politician but this may be of interest
« on: Monday 15 October 18 18:20 BST (UK) »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45866168

"Elizabeth Warren: DNA test finds 'strong evidence' of Native American blood. "

It seems like a more public version of the many " I'm shocked about my ancestry" claims that you see on YouTube.

Martin

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I don't know of this US politician but this may be of interest
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
Roberta Estes blog out today (16th) is about this case

Kim

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 13:56 BST (UK) »
I read Roberta Estes blog this morning, before that I had never heard of Elizabeth Warren.

https://dna-explained.com/2018/10/16/elizabeth-warrens-native-american-dna-results-what-they-mean/

The article is interesting, as she looks at it from a detached viewpoint and is going to break it down in two separate blog posts.

My usual viewpoint is that ethnicity results can be taken with a pinch of salt, but it obviously means more to some people, and presence or absence of a particular ethnic inheritance becomes vital.

Elizabeth Warren's main reason for making her tests public appears to be the promise of $1,000,000 donation to charity from President Trump, who reportedly refers to her as Pocahontas.

Good luck to her, I hope she gets the money from him, but not holding my breath.

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 14:26 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Warren's main reason for making her tests public appears to be the promise of $1,000,000 donation to charity from President Trump, who reportedly refers to her as Pocahontas.

Good luck to her, I hope she gets the money from him, but not holding my breath.

Regards Margaret

He's been calling her that for some time, displaying his usual level of maturity ::)

You're right to be sceptical; as soon as the results were announced, he denied making the promise.  No doubt he had his fingers crossed at the time so that's all right then.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 15:30 BST (UK) »
I read Roberta Estes blog this morning, before that I had never heard of Elizabeth Warren.

https://dna-explained.com/2018/10/16/elizabeth-warrens-native-american-dna-results-what-they-mean/

The article is interesting, as she looks at it from a detached viewpoint and is going to break it down in two separate blog posts.

My usual viewpoint is that ethnicity results can be taken with a pinch of salt, but it obviously means more to some people, and presence or absence of a particular ethnic inheritance becomes vital.

Regards Margaret

I have quoted you in full so that when (if) this finally escapes the moderation procedure (longest delay to date 22 hours) it will be apparent which post it relates to.

Basically she is wasting her time in my opinion. As quite a lot of people who have posted here have previously said this DNA ethnicity malarkey is just a bit of fun and these DNA tests do not prove anything other than what you have in common with some people in randomly self-selected control populations, which in turn are proof of nothing. Indeed I recently read on here, or from a link on here, about a court case in America where some individual is suing The DBE program at the U.S. Department of Transportation because he was denied a grant available to minorities. He submitted his DNA results which said he was Black but these were ignored by the Department hence the law suit.

This is not the original article but gives the story in short

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/09/dna-test-race-lawsuit/570250/

The original story I read had links to other cases where ethnicity DNA cases have come before the courts including the Supreme Court and how the courts have done summersaults and back flips with many conflicting verdicts. Hence why I say she is wasting her time.

As to you never having heard of Elizabeth Warren before she is a Democratic politician who is perennially touted as a Democratic candidate for President but each time someone or something stops her running and given her recent shenanigans during the Kavanaugh Supreme Court hearings she cannot have improved her chances any (in the interests of balance I say that of quite a few people on both sides of the aisle. Again just my opinion).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
If you cross your fingers behind your back, it's always ok to go back on your word. Unless you have fingers on both hands crossed, in which case you have cancelled things out, and you have to keep your promise.

Even kids in the playground know this.

Apart from the Trump aspect, it is good to get some sort of insight into ethnicity estimates, even if it still does not fully convince me.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
If you cross your fingers behind your back, it's always ok to go back on your word. Unless you have fingers on both hands crossed, in which case you have cancelled things out, and you have to keep your promise.

Even kids in the playground know this.

Apart from the Trump aspect, it is good to get some sort of insight into ethnicity estimates, even if it still does not fully convince me.

Regards Margaret

BIB - well Stephanie Clifford didn't she has just had her case (one of) against him dismissed and has to pay his costs.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/10/15/donald-trump-stormy-daniels-libel-lawsuit-dismissed/1653835002/

Yes Stephanie Clifford is Stormy Daniels and her lawyer, Michael Avenatti, is the kind of laywer who gives lawyers a bad name in my opinion. I don't think he represents any of his clients well but wouldn't be surprised given his antics if he doesn't run for office sooner or later.

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
Senator Elizabeth Warren had told of a family story that one of her ancestors was Native American, but had no records to confirm it.  There have been stories circulating that she had used this Native American connection to gain unfair and spurious advantage in applying for her University place and/or scholarships, and as a consequence, Donald Trump likes to refer to her as 'Pocahontas'. (An odd way to insult anyone, since Pocahontas seems like someone to admire, but logic isn't Trump's strong point).
Anyway, it seems that Elizabeth Warren thought it was time to lay all this to rest (although I doubt Trump will give up on it).  She is believed to be planning to run for President in 2020.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 18:23 BST (UK) »
  She is believed to be planning to run for President in 2020.

Yet again! See previous post.

Bet she ends up not running.